Can I sponsor my 23 yr old son to live in Aus with me?

Eng32

Hi, I have a permenant visa and have been living in Australia for nearly 2 n half years. At the time when getting my Visa my son was at Uni and didn't want to live here but he has been here for a year on a working holiday visa and is thinking he'd like to make the move permanently. Has Graduated from university last October.

Does anyone know if I can sponsor him? He has a long term girlfriend who is also here with is atm and would be part of the deal lol. It's been too long since I went through the Visa process and can't seem to find an answer on line.

if anyone has gone through/going through this or can help with advice, I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance

My understanding is that you could have included him while he was still a student. A "dependent" is someone under the age of 18 or someone under 25 that you can evidence is fully dependent on you financially. It is one to check with a migration agent as you won't find it on the front of the DIBP website.

I managed to include my son as a dependent when he was over 20 (and physically disabled) but he was still a student at that time.

Otherwise, he will need to find sponsored employment - make sure he makes good use of having potentially 2 years on a working holiday visa (make sure he does the regional time to make the 2nd visa eligibility).

Good luck!

when we was going through our visa process my daughter was still at school as our dependant, but when our visa was granted my daughter was at uni , living with students and had a part time job ..she was rejected on our visa as she was no longer considered as a dependendant . She will now have to enter on her own skills independently .

Hi, I have a permenant visa and have been living in Australia for nearly 2 n half years. At the time when getting my Visa my son was at Uni and didn't want to live here but he has been here for a year on a working holiday visa and is thinking he'd like to make the move permanently. Has Graduated from university last October.

Does anyone know if I can sponsor him? He has a long term girlfriend who is also here with is atm and would be part of the deal lol. It's been too long since I went through the Visa process and can't seem to find an answer on line.

if anyone has gone through/going through this or can help with advice, I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance

Take some professional advice from a registered migration agent, before it is too late.

when we was going through our visa process my daughter was still at school as our dependant, but when our visa was granted my daughter was at uni , living with students and had a part time job ..she was rejected on our visa as she was no longer considered as a dependendant . She will now have to enter on her own skills independently .

Thats a shame Beddy, hope it all works out xx

Our experience was different, with just days to go we managed to get our 17 year old daughter on OHs 457 before she turned 18.

she came here and started working straight away, I was a bit worried about how it would effect our application for pr, we did transfer funds into her bank account, and when the time came for going for pr, she just had to send a note saying where her money went.

When I spoke to our agent about it, she said not to worry, she was getting grants for all dependants up to the age of 24.

That certainly seems true, cos other friends have used her for "working dependants" ie the oldest I personally know was 22 and a Fifo worker??

Thanks all, I wanted to include him at the time I applied for my visa was he wasn't dependant on me as he had a student grant which paid for tuition and accomadation. But at the time he didn't want to come and live in Aus either. Unfortunately it's too late to do regional work as the WHV is up in December, which is annoying as they have live regional with us for 6 months prior to our move to Brisbane! But they didn't work at that point....he has realised (staying in Sydney atm) that he wants to stay, but a little late. On the bright note, he and his gf both have a degree and one of them is on the sol so if they are keen enough they can go through the visa process or get a sponsor. I have told them to start looking for a sponsor till they leave....at least it's a chance.

Thanks for all the great advice as always :hug:

Archived