Help/advice please? Carpenter VETASSESS paperwork

Rara82

Hi all

I'm Sara and a newbie to this all, so apologies in advance for any ignorance on my part.

My OH and I are hoping to apply for a 189 visa with carpentry being his nominated skill. He has 8 years of experience, but all of this has been self-employed working for private customers and subcontracting to larger firms. He has absolutely no formal qualifications. We are in the overwhelming process of acquiring all the paperwork needed as evidence for the VETASSESS assessment. Most of the big firms he has worked for are writing us detailed reference letters and it's these letters that will form most of the evidence against the competencies on the fact sheet. My question is... If VETASSESS only want the last 5 years worth of evidence, and we have 8 years of experience, when we come to apply for the visa, will we still able to claim the points for 3 years of skilled work (I'm led to believe those 5 years will be classed as training)? Hope that makes sense!

If we can't claim those 5 points we may have to apply for 190 visa instead.

Also, we are contacting his private customers to give reference letters and I'll also be getting copies of his invoices. Can anyone answer whether a selection of letters for each year might suffice, or will we have to provide back to back letters with no gaps? If the latter is correct, am I right in thinking a statutory declaration might be easier?

Thanks for for your time.

Sara

Hi all

I'm Sara and a newbie to this all, so apologies in advance for any ignorance on my part.

My OH and I are hoping to apply for a 189 visa with carpentry being his nominated skill. He has 8 years of experience, but all of this has been self-employed working for private customers and subcontracting to larger firms. He has absolutely no formal qualifications. We are in the overwhelming process of acquiring all the paperwork needed as evidence for the VETASSESS assessment. Most of the big firms he has worked for are writing us detailed reference letters and it's these letters that will form most of the evidence against the competencies on the fact sheet. My question is... If VETASSESS only want the last 5 years worth of evidence, and we have 8 years of experience, when we come to apply for the visa, will we still able to claim the points for 3 years of skilled work (I'm led to believe those 5 years will be classed as training)? Hope that makes sense!

If we can't claim those 5 points we may have to apply for 190 visa instead.

Also, we are contacting his private customers to give reference letters and I'll also be getting copies of his invoices. Can anyone answer whether a selection of letters for each year might suffice, or will we have to provide back to back letters with no gaps? If the latter is correct, am I right in thinking a statutory declaration might be easier?

Thanks for for your time.

Sara

Hi I am a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and awaiting for my visas to be granted. Just wondering why you are going through VETASSESS. I had my skills assessed through TRA so just wondering what's different. I am also self employed and DIBP required all my self assessments from start to current year tax returns. Plus all the company references. I have NVQ 2 & 3 so made it easier. By any chance do you have a CSCS card as you can obtain the NVQ through that and it's onsite aswell. A very straight forward qualification.

Hi NeelD

Thanks so much for replying.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression the TRA have (recently) outsourced some assessments to Vetassess and Victoria University; including carpenters. I didn't think TRA was an option for us, but I would like to be corrected as I understand it's a cheaper option.

My OH does indeed have a CSCS card so gaining the NVQ would definitely be something we could do, thanks for the suggestion!

How exciting that you are at the last hurdle and waiting for your visa to be granted! Wishing you the very best!

Hi my OH is a self employed carpenter & went through vet assess for his assessment. He has no qualifications & they used 3 of his years as on the job training.

I can't remember the reason why we didn't go through TRA but my OH has now got a certificate in carpentry following his assessment.

Hi my OH is a self employed carpenter & went through vet assess for his assessment. He has no qualifications & they used 3 of his years as on the job training.

I can't remember the reason why we didn't go through TRA but my OH has now got a certificate in carpentry following his assessment.

Thanks for your response familyof4. Congratulations on your OH's successful assessment.

After reading NeelD's post, I have done a bit more digging to find the difference between getting skills assessed by VETASSESS or TRA, I've not got very far!! The official immigration website says TRA for carpenter/joiner so we may have to go with them.

Has anybody else been confused about whether to go with TRA or VETASSESS?

sara

I have been on the TRA website & you choose 1 of these for carpentry assessment, you don't actually choose TRA.

Carpenter [331212]

The RTOs approved by TRA to conduct skills assessments for this occupation are listed below, with the countries where assessments are available.

Australian Construction Training Services

Email: enquiries@visaskills.com

Phone: +61 29609 1100 (Sydney)

+44 20 3375 9333 (UK and Ireland)

+63 9176 193919 (Philippines)

Australia, China (incl Hong Kong and Macau), Ireland, Philippines, South Africa, United Kingdom

VETASSESS

Email: tradeassess@vetassess.com.au

Phone: +61 3 9655 4801

Australia, Brazil, China (incl Hong Kong and Macau), Fiji, India, Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Vietnam, Zimbabwe

Victoria University

Email: 457skillsassess@vu.edu.au

Phone: +61 3 9919 7365

Australia, Brazil, China (incl Hong Kong and Macau), Fiji, India, Iran, Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Vietnam, Zimbabwe

Archived