Any computer experts out there ?

Stuju

Hi All,

Just wondered if theres is any computer experts around who can advise- i have vista basic (on a compaq presario C700 laptop) and things were bad but now this vista thingy dosent like any websites or really messes up each time i try to type on this forum or a site or email etc.

We also have a Acer laptop (daughters) which has Windows XP home edition on it, we have a complete recovery pack for this laptop.

we have decided not to upgrade to a better vista programme as everyone we have spoke to says the other packages arent any better.

So what i need to know is will i be able to completly wipe my compaq of vista and install using the windows xp recovery pack to put windows xp onto my compaq laptop.

Thanks very much

gizmo

I'm not an expert but I know a little about computers. I don't think using the recovery pack for Windows XP is going to install a full version of XP on your compaq laptop. If it came with vista installed then you would need to take vista off and put a full version of XP in its place.

Hope this helps a bit Gizmo,

Felicity:cute:

Guest taffy 62

You should be able to install it back to it original factory condition to when it was bought. either by running a restore disk or pressing a key on the laptop.

you would need to save or email someone the things you want keeping.

its a pain in the butt to do but usually clears all problems or viruses.

i found if i installed msn on my computer it didnt like it and i had problems. the computer started running really slow and was infuriating to use.

i couldnt install one to another on mine i had windows 98 and my friend gave me windows xp but my computer wasnt able to deal with it, maybe going from better system to worse (older) may work but i couldnt say for definate.

Guest taffy 62

Forgot to add i now have a new laptop running vista premium. when i press repetedly f9 on startup that takes me to a restore wizzard. my computer came already with vista installed if this was the case for you, you should have a helpline number from the manufacturer to see how to do this on your computer.

if you added vista yourself, take everything off and re install again and it should work, be carefull what sites you go into as thats where a lot of problems come from.

sometimes if you have a fire wall or security thing running it can stop you accessing sites smoothly i went in to programs and deactivated some of mine.

Guest aussiewannabee

Hi m8, no you can not use your xp recovery for your vista machine.

Your xp recovery disk is only a snap shot of your system when they built it in the factory, I.E when your computer was first made everything they loaded onto it was done they take whats called a snapshot of your system to recover from if you need to. the other post is correct where they said that you can recover vista, have you tried system restore, if that doesnt work, try your recovery disk if you have one, all you need to do with it is put it in your drive, then turn your laptop off, then turn it back on, it should boot then from disk , follow the instructions on screen.

The thing with these recovery disks are that if you have changed your system hardware, the disk wont be recognised, it happened to me, i upgraded a few cards, graphix, sound, ram, and when i had problem it said disk not recognised cos system changed since factory shipped.

Hope this of help to you

goodluck.

Aussie

Guest rickyaswell

Like eveyone is saying you should have all you need to restore your laptop back to the day you bought it as all the operating system will be on you hard drive (Hidden)and i doubt you have altered or upgraded your hardware. But if you want XP you need to find out if it will work on your laptop meaning being able to install all your laptops drivers so all your

hardware,sound,display,network,graphics,and so on will still work.

Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC series Home & Home Office this is compaq web site looking into the software and driver section it looks like xp drivers are available if you really want xp but you would have to buy xp to do this.

I think you should just restore back to new is the easy option but back up any info you want to keep first.All the info is on the above web site and if you have lost your restore disc you can order a new one.

If this is still all to much for you any 10 year old will do these days will know what to do:biglaugh:Find a friend in your area who knows what they are doing.

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for your replies, im soooo confused i dont know what to do !!!

taffy62 - im gonna get my hubby to read through these posts and then he can sort the blinking vista - as its crazing me & too confusing

cheers all

gizmo

Hi there... before you go and do something radical like reinstalling Windows on your computer, maybe the problem may be something like a Vista firewall in operation. On our laptop we had to do quite a bit of work to get various websites recognised.

:smile:

Archived