Moving to Brisbane looking for a Primary school? also wondered about Transfer Files? x x

louise x x x x x

Hi

We are a family of 4 moving to Brisbane - visa granted just need to book flights

An area is yet to be decided upon - But people have recommended Gapp

we have 2 girls aged 6 and 7

I am confused as to what school I should apply for? how to go about it? Some schools have even said they would like an interview?

But I just wondered do you have to ask the primary school in the Uk for transfer files to take with you? or does the new school contact the old school?

I am a little lost with the whole process to be honest

So any help on the school situation- would be gratefully appreciated

Thank you

Once we decided on our area we applied for a place at the local schools - no transfer of files. We were lucky that our schools had places - not all do - are you going state or private? The Gap is a lovely area and I've heard the schools there are good. It is quite a way out with poor public transport links and a busy road into the city. Hopefully someone who lives there will be along soon.

The Gap starts about 7km from Brisbane City and ends around 11km out. It is a big suburb so access can vary a lot.

For example, if you live on the main 385 BUZ route, say around The Gap Village, translink lists a 7:54pm bus arriving in Brisbane at 8:17, so 23 mins which is pretty good. This bus travels via Coopers Camp Rd and Latrobe Tce which seem very quiet peak hour roads compared to others in Brisbane.

If on the hand you live up in the hills at the back of The Gap on a different route number travelling all the way on waterworks rd your bus may take 35 mins instead.

If you apply to The Gap state schools (there are 3 primary schools), then you are automatically accepted if you live in the catchment. If you wish to apply for private schools I would bring as much information about their past schooling results/achievements that you can. I doubt they would contact previous schools, it would be up to you to provide the documentation.

School catchment maps here: http://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/maps/edmap/

Hi , unsure about state or private

state has had some bad reviews?

the girls are in state school here but they vary depending upon where you live

for example you could pay double in a house price to live in an area with a good catchment area for a school - which we did

But private schooling in the Uk for us is totally out of league - 20 k a year each

It does seem to be a lot more accessible out there

So being honest I am totally lost

I would rather find a lovely school for the girls and find somewhere to live near there?

I wont be working, it will be dad that is - so all my time will be focused around the girls

Any ideas on family areas in Brisbane would help

We where told the gapp as that is where his work colleges live and travel to work from there

But looking on school websites it asks about transfer files and even what can parents offer the school - not used to that question

Hi Fish o/.1

Thanks for that

we are not totally set on the gapp its just what others who work in the same company have recommended

We are open to family areas in Brisbane

The other half finds the Gapp a little green/leafy and automatically thinks more creepy/crawlies lol

As for transport - we both drive so would not use public

I wont be working so can focus my time totally around the girls

There are just so many schools - it feels like a minefield

Hi , unsure about state or private

state has had some bad reviews?

the girls are in state school here but they vary depending upon where you live

for example you could pay double in a house price to live in an area with a good catchment area for a school - which we did

But private schooling in the Uk for us is totally out of league - 20 k a year each

It does seem to be a lot more accessible out there

So being honest I am totally lost

I would rather find a lovely school for the girls and find somewhere to live near there?

I wont be working, it will be dad that is - so all my time will be focused around the girls

Any ideas on family areas in Brisbane would help

We where told the gapp as that is where his work colleges live and travel to work from there

But looking on school websites it asks about transfer files and even what can parents offer the school - not used to that question

The Gap is in an area of Brisbane that has many very good state primary schools. They often rank very high in the school rankings and have very good feedback. Of course this is in general so a visit might confirm the particular school you choose. I went to a private school and I would be very happy to send my child to state schools in The Gap. As a bonus the state high school has a good reputation as well.

Some other local state primary schools I see positive reports about in the newspapers or personally:

Rainworth, Bardon

Ashgrove

Oakleigh, Ashgrove

Ithaca Creek, Bardon

Milton

Chapel Hill

Bardon

But there are plenty more around Brisbane.

Hi Fish o/.1

Thanks for that

we are not totally set on the gapp its just what others who work in the same company have recommended

We are open to family areas in Brisbane

The other half finds the Gapp a little green/leafy and automatically thinks more creepy/crawlies lol

As for transport - we both drive so would not use public

I wont be working so can focus my time totally around the girls

There are just so many schools - it feels like a minefield

Is the company located in the city centre ? Will it provide parking ?

Probably is more chance of creepy crawlies in The Gap if you live backing onto the bush/forest/mountains :) Just choose a house well away from the edge and you'll be fine :)

No he is working off in the middle of nowhere - a place called (dingmore) I think that is what it is called not 100% sure.

I shall keep that in mind, talking about houses we have looked at houses with pools - obviously more expensive with that without.

Is it more a luxury to have a pool or a necessity? - in terms of the girls with a total weather change and being able to cool down?

Hi, I'm a teacher working on the south side in a private school. I used to live in the central western suburb of Bardon and familiar with all the schools there having worked as a supply teacher in most of them. The area you mention, The Gap is or was the largest declared suburb in the council area. It comprises of medium density living bordering on land acreage as you move further out. The schools - The Gap SS, Payne Road, Ashgrove, Bardon, Ithaca Creek are all happy places. I'll tell you what we did. While we were waiting for our stuff to be shipped over we lived in a small town house in Paddington. We looked at all of these schools including some more central. Milton SS, Rainworth, Petrie Terrace. There are many of them. After visiting the umpteenth school we were about to leave, it was lunchtime and the kids were playing on the school oval. Two kids came up to my 7 year old at the time and asked him to play football with them. That was it. He decided he wasn't going anywhere else!

He is now 21 and a physiotherapist. Those kids he is still friends with today. That was Milton State School and we planned everything around that, bought a place in Bardon and went on with our lives from there. Private? well as the government subsidises them the fees fall within reach of a lot of people. Some send theirs to a state school until year 5 or 6 and transfer them to the private sector at middle school age. The downside is some state schools are under resourced and although getting better there are places where access to up to date information technology is slightly antiquated, but they all have space, easy to move around and a playing field, a swimming pool in most cases and a good community atmosphere.

Don't forget the south side though. Some great schools there, Graceville, Ironside, Sherwood. Good luck with your choice and your move! PM me if you want to know more.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I live in The Gap and love it. We chose to buy our first home there last year and one of the reasons was the very high standard of the state schools, which is why a lot of people move there. The advice above is on the money for the most part. If you live close-ish to Waterworks Road then you can catch any of the express buses into the city and it is quick. I'm not sure why the poster above thinks the public transport is poor, it's excellent, although there is no train line so perhaps that is why. If you're driving you may need to leave early to avoid traffic as it gets very busy, otherwise the buses are much quicker with the T2 lane. Alternatively you can use this lane if you have a passenger in your car.

You're going to get creepy crawlies everywhere so try to be realistic about this. If this is a big issue then make sure you live in a house with fly screens wherever you end up. I've lived in 3 suburbs (Auchenflower, Stafford and The Gap) and The Gap has marginally more wildlife but I probably only notice this because I'm into that (environmental scientist).

Re schools you may be able to attend the state schools even if you aren't in the catchment. This is certainly not guaranteed however. The only way to guarantee you get a place is to live in the catchment. I'm not sure what the deal is with transfer files, I suggest calling the schools and asking. There are also good private primary schools which many people choose instead of state. I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why (facilities etc. seem to be just as good for the state school near us) but lots of people do it, possibly because the cost of private schools is considerably lower than that of childcare so it seems like a good deal! One thing to note is that the state schools in the area have received boosts to their funding because the state premier Campbell Newman is at risk of losing his seat. He has ensured that millions has been pumped into the Ashgrove electorate and that has poured over into The Gap too (e.g. http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/grants/state/targeted/schools-maintenance.html). Google 'pork-barrelling Ashgrove'!

I am continually amazed by how sociable the place is, which is probably why you saw the question 'What can you do for our school?'. Two weeks after moving into our house, we were invited to a street party celebrating Christmas in July with each course of the meal hosted at a different house. We had another street party a month ago to welcome a new resident. Everyone is very welcoming and always helping each other out, it's really nice. Of course, that may just be our street. I'm sure not everyone experiences this!

I'm rabbiting on so I'll stop. I can't speak highly enough of the place and I was extremely sceptical about living there when we first moved to Brisbane due to the distance from the city. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and/or give advice about best pockets to live in if you like.

No he is working off in the middle of nowhere - a place called (dingmore) I think that is what it is called not 100% sure.

I shall keep that in mind, talking about houses we have looked at houses with pools - obviously more expensive with that without.

Is it more a luxury to have a pool or a necessity? - in terms of the girls with a total weather change and being able to cool down?

I'd recommend looking at at house with a pool - we've just had a couple of mentally hot days and it'll get hotter as we get nearer to summer and we do not have a pool and I would've killed to have been able to jump in one. Obviously, on the flip side, it'll put up your costs. The heat takes some getting used to - my husband seems to be handling it better than me and our son.

Archived