Tree surgeon QLD Immigration

Big Richard

Evening everyone, I am sat in my house in front of a fire sheltering from the wind and floods that are battering the UK!

Anyway I was chatting to a friend of mine today who is a tree surgeon, he is in the process of applying for for a visa in qld, but has no idea if his 'tickets' are enough to get him in, (he tells me he has all his CS tickets, whatever they are!) After speaking to me about my woes he is now worried he may not have enough qualifications as he has no degree (he doesn't think you can get any degrees etc in it)

He is a bit of a country lad and as such has no internet, sky TV etc etc, so I have asked on his behalf.

I look forward to your advice.

Yes that's what I suggested, and he will do however I suggested asking the question on hear aswell.

His occupation is assessed by TRA. Trades do not need degrees, but some levels of qualifications and/or time served as apprenticeship and work experience. Australia class apprenticeship as 5 years plus require 3 years work experience after that.

Your friends occupation is on qld state migration list so if he can gain a positive skills assessment and pass the points test all going well with medicals etc he should be able to get a visa. But he should defiantly speak to a registered migration agent.

I don't think he did an apprenticeship (I will ask him) I think he did the qualifications when he left the army. And then just started working as a self employed tree guy for a few local companies. He has been doing it for years - I think at least 7 years anyway as he left the army about 8 years ago.

I don't think he did an apprenticeship (I will ask him) I think he did the qualifications when he left the army. And then just started working as a self employed tree guy for a few local companies. He has been doing it for years - I think at least 7 years anyway as he left the army about 8 years ago.

He needs to speak to a registered migration agent to put him on the right direction but sounds like he has already started as you say he is in the process of applying.

He needs to speak to a registered migration agent to put him on the right direction but sounds like he has already started as you say he is in the process of applying.

As I said I have advised him to speak to an agent, however he wasn't even aware that such people as 'migration agents' existed! He has done the paperwork for qld, and is now in the process of starting the skills assessment. I have looked everywhere online for him but can't seem to find a definitive answer on what he needs qualification wise. Please remember that this is a guy who thinks his old Nokia phone is hi-tech. He is old school and up until last month thought he still needed to go for an interview at Australia House.

As I said I have advised him to speak to an agent, however he wasn't even aware that such people as 'migration agents' existed! He has done the paperwork for qld, and is now in the process of starting the skills assessment. I have looked everywhere online for him but can't seem to find a definitive answer on what he needs qualification wise. Please remember that this is a guy who thinks his old Nokia phone is hi-tech. He is old school and up until last month thought he still needed to go for an interview at Australia House.

His occupation of Arborist (ANZSCO code 362212) is an ANZSCO skill level 3 occupation. That means that for TRA skills assessment purposes he will need the equivalent of AQF Certificate IV or AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the job training.

I understand that an NVQ2 in the UK is equivalent to a CERT lll. If he has an NVQ2 which included 2 years of OTJ training he may meet TRA's requirements. If not, he may be able to do a course in the UK to bring himself up to the required level but he should be guided by a good Migration Agent before he goes any further.

He should also keep in mind that Arborist is not guaranteed to stay on the Queensland list. If it’s removed before he can get a nomination from the state, he would then need employer sponsorship.

Update from Ivan (the tree lad) he has been in touch with a migration agent, who he is meeting next week, as he doesn't have Internet he had some trouble finding someone who would or could meet him face to face. They are going to go over all his paperwork and go from there. I will let you know how he gets on.

Hi, tell him to make sure that the migration agent is MARA registered. There are some cowboys out there that just rip people off. We've heard of some heart breaking stories of incompetence and deception on here.. :wink:

Yes I shall make sure he does ask the right questions re registration etc, once I get a company name that he is using I will let you know.

Hi all,

Spoke to my pal today and got a bit of an update.

I am not sure however that he has been given the best advice? So was after your opinion.

He has been told that qld is very hard to get into, and even though his occupation is on the skills list and has several years experience, good capital behind him and scores well (70) he would still not get in as in the agents words 'they only want teachers and nurses in qld'!

The agent has then gone on to advise him that he should go for a 457 visa as plenty of tree surgery companies take on sponsorship guys.

My friend has a young family so am I not right in thinking he would have to pay for healthcare and schooling on a 457?

In addition to this he has told the visa agent (who Is on the Mara list) that he had wanted to go over to Oz, work for someone for a few months to get to grips with different practices etc then set up on his own again - to which the agent suggested 'that's fine, all you need to do is do the 457 with someone, then set up your own company then simply sponsor yourself on the 457 visa, it's a simple transfer and a couple of forms!'

Now my feeling is that the agent (who I will not name to protect him just in case) Is talking out of his bottom.

I would be really interested in hearing your views!

Of course, he may have misunderstood what the agent told him or may not have communicated it well to you, but if he really was told some of those things, he was badly advised.

Queensland has a list of occupations for which they are willing to offer state sponsorship and it includes many occupations other than teachers and nurses - in fact, it doesn't include ANY teachers. If an applicant has a positive skills assessment in one of the listed occupations and meets any other state specific requirements (e.g. minimum years of experience, settlement funds or whatever), they will probably sponsor him.

http://migration.qld.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/pdf/qsol-skilled-190.pdf The Queensland list of eligible skilled occupations

For someone with a young family, a 457 is not a good idea at all. Only 3 states territories (NSW, ACT and WA) at present charge for schooling for 457 holders but he would have to pay for health insurance, would not be eligible for any family tax benefits (and they're well worth having) and would not be eligible for any assistance with our very high childcare expenses.

The glib assurance that "all you need to do is do the 457 with someone, then set up your own company then simply sponsor yourself on the 457 visa, it's a simple transfer and a couple of forms" is so far from the truth that it's shocking if he really was told that.

He should try another agent but this time, one which members on PIO recommend from their own experience. A phone consultation with a good agent is all that is needed but if he wants a personal, face to face meeting, tell us where he is located so he has a chance of getting recommendations for agents in his area.

Lastly, he may have miscalculated something if he thinks he can get 70 points. That needs to be verified by someone who knows their stuff and has much more information about him than we have.

Archived