What benefits do you get from a 489 visa?

Callie mum

Hi Callie,

I am not sure what you would get but as a temporary resident you would have access to medicare but likely to have to pay for any schooling which can be around $14k per year (I've seen quoted elsewhere). Some schools here you pay for anyway like the Catholic system schools.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/dhs/centrelink

the above link will take you to the centrelink website that can give you more info. As a Permanent resident I know I am not entitled to any benefits until I have been here for two years. I do not know what rebates you will get for childcare as I get some money back against my kids childcare costs.

Sorry not much help but hopefully someone else will be on that visa who can help.

Best of luck!

S x

You won't have to pay for tuition at public schools even in the 3 states/territories where temporary residents are required to pay fees - for that purpose, a 489 is not regarded as a temporary visa.

If you are not from a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Medicare (e.g. the UK or Ireland), you will not be covered by Medicare.

You are not eligible for any government benefits i.e. no Family Tax Benefit, no Childcare Benefit or Rebate, no income support, nothing.

Once you have met the requirements and have applied for a permanent visa, you become eligible for Medicare.

You do not become eligible for FTB or Childcare Benefit or Rebate until you have been granted a permanent visa but there is no Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period for those benefits - as soon as you get PR, you become eligible. You do not become eligible for Newstart Allowance (the dole) or Sickness Allowance until you have held a permanent visa for 2 years.

If you are not from a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Medicare (e.g. the UK or Ireland), you will not be covered by Medicare.

Just a note that Ireland do not have a full recipricol health care agreement. Only hospital care is covered.

But I was sure that the UK did have a reciprocal agreement with Australia as I was here on a working holiday visa in 2003 and I was given Medicare then but my other half wasn't? She is Australian but as she had been outside Oz for the previous 2 years she wasn't entitled. Has there been a change?

Sx

But I was sure that the UK did have a reciprocal agreement with Australia as I was here on a working holiday visa in 2003 and I was given Medicare then but my other half wasn't? She is Australian but as she had been outside Oz for the previous 2 years she wasn't entitled. Has there been a change?

Sx

correct - that is what both posters above have said.

Sx

Yes it does. Ozmaniac said if you are not from a country with a reciprocal health care then you won't be covered. Uk does.

How come no one has to pay for schooling?We lived in Sth Oz.I had to pay for my girls schooling.It was'nt a voluntary thing either.We got handed the paperwork each new year,and everyone had to pay,regardless of income,including single parents! I recently asked family and friends in Sth Oz when I was there if I had infact got this wrong (I was quite sure I had'nt lol)and yes all my family paid for schooling as did my friends.

How come no one has to pay for schooling?We lived in Sth Oz.I had to pay for my girls schooling.It was'nt a voluntary thing either.We got handed the paperwork each new year,and everyone had to pay,regardless of income,including single parents! I recently asked family and friends in Sth Oz when I was there if I had infact got this wrong (I was quite sure I had'nt lol)and yes all my family paid for schooling as did my friends.

It seems when some people say you don't pay for schooling they mean more than locals. What people don't tend to mention is that locals have to pay a fair amount (different at each school). I remember being very surprised too.

Archived