What qualifications count?

Big Richard

Evening all again.

I gather that the AQF qualifications differ slightly from the UK based, and having done some digging on line can see the difference between them all; however I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer as to what visas count towards skills etc.

I know a degree you need 1 year post qual experience, but what about anything else? Such as a levels or btec nvq org gnvq etc?

Qualifications and skills are assessed by the appropriate body. They alone determine which skills/qualifications they will accept and interpret as equivalent to the Australian versions.

It is therefore entirely dependant on which governing body will assess your skills. For computing it is the Australian Computer Society, for example.

Ah ok, so the only way to find out is to go through the process spend the money and then find out?

Basically, yes.

Generally a degree will translate to a degree. My Scottish honours degree was recognised as a regular Oz degree, however. My skill that I chose was Developer Programmer. Re: your second question --if I had a degree in graphic design, for example -- they might both have me using a computer, but they would not assess the degree as related to my chosen skill. I would therefore struggle to be assessed as having the skills I need to claim to be a developer programmer.

Also work experience will be assessed, if you have any. Don't know how this will work for welders though.

So what do you think about my situation: It looks like my chosen path will be a transport company manager which is on the csol. I have 8 years direct experience and prior to that I was a police traffic officer for 9 years, I have been told that a btec that I have in roads traffic policing will count towards my required qualifications. However I doubt it, as it seems too loose to me.

The CSOL says that VETASSESS will assess your skills. Looking at their site; it seems to kinda suck compared to the guidance that I got from the ACS for my skills. I was given a complete breakdown of what skills I needed to demonstrate to be able to be positively assessed in my employment -- as well as the specific modules I was expected to have completed at uni.

If there is something similar for VETASSES then that would be helpful, I'd think, to let you check off what you have done vs. what they expect you to have done. Currently, though, I can't see anything like that on their site. Perhaps someone else knows better.

The CSOL says that VETASSESS will assess your skills. Looking at their site; it seems to kinda suck compared to the guidance that I got from the ACS for my skills. I was given a complete breakdown of what skills I needed to demonstrate to be able to be positively assessed in my employment -- as well as the specific modules I was expected to have completed at uni.

If there is something similar for VETASSES then that would be helpful, I'd think, to let you check off what you have done vs. what they expect you to have done. Currently, though, I can't see anything like that on their site. Perhaps someone else knows better.

When I spoke to vet asses I got the extremely helpful answer of 'if you apply then we will take a look from there, however as each case is different we cannot provide accurate lists of what can or cannot be included.'

Helpful eh!!

Hmm, read this on their site:

[h=4]I have extensive work experience in a field highly relevant to my nominated occupation but no formal qualifications. Can I still apply for a skills assessment?[/h]

VETASSESS Skills Assessment applications require an assessment of both qualifications and employment against the criteria for your nominated occupation. Post secondary educational qualifications are mandatory in order to gain a positive skills assessment.

This does make you think you'll need a formal qualification.. but I really am not 100% sure.

Can anyone translate this into English for me?

I get the top bit but what about the rest of it?

This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

2nd para: if your work experience is before you got your qualification(s), you need 3 years of work experience (though this could be interpreted as meaning 4 years total).

3rd para: if you have a qualification but it is un-related to your chosen skill, you must have 2 years of work experience doing the skill you've picked basically.

It's still saying you need at least a diploma-level equivalent qualification, in addition to the work experience.

2nd para: if your work experience is before you got your qualification(s), you need 3 years of work experience (though this could be interpreted as meaning 4 years total).

3rd para: if you have a qualification but it is un-related to your chosen skill, you must have 2 years of work experience doing the skill you've picked basically.

It's still saying you need at least a diploma-level equivalent qualification, in addition to the work experience.

Ah ok I see, so is my btec classed as an AQF diploma? Or based on my experience if I complete a degree (or advanced diploma) I won't have to do the years post qual employment? Have I got that right?

I don't know really what a btec would be seen as, sorry. You still need work experience though, according to what you posted. The 2nd paragraph says you must also have at least one year of highly relevant experience.

So you essentially need at least a diploma + 1yr related experience (minimum). According to that excerpt you posted.

A diploma over here is counted as two years full time education.

To tell you the truth it doesn't sound hopeful for you. Have you googled the job code and made sure you meet the minimum requirements it mentions there too? Manager positions are often very hard as generally they mean quite high up with lots of turn over and lots of staff.

You'd probably be best consulting a MARA agent.

A diploma over here is counted as two years full time education.

To tell you the truth it doesn't sound hopeful for you. Have you googled the job code and made sure you meet the minimum requirements it mentions there too? Manager positions are often very hard as generally they mean quite high up with lots of turn over and lots of staff.

You'd probably be best consulting a MARA agent.

Hiya

Yes I have googled and it seems to be almost a direct link to what I do now. Unfortunately being an unqualified bafoon doesn't help! I shall see what my agent says (finally found one that I have some faith in!) I am willing to undertake a degree if that's what it takes, however the years post qual seems a bit of a pointless exercises so will continue in the same job.

Archived