Interesting...Sydney House Prices Push Families To Queensland.

Bobj

While I can see the obvious benefits, you can't compare spending money on flights, hotels, and trains to a mortgage. Suppose you could do this for 25 years, at the end of it you'd own your Sydney house, the alternative being a pile of receipts. Also, what happens if Jetstar decide to stop running the Sunshine Coast - Sydney route?

It's similar to people in the UK who move out of London because they get so much more property for their money. But then spend a massive amount on train season tickets not to mention a couple of hours of their time which is seldom quantified.

While I can see the obvious benefits, you can't compare spending money on flights, hotels, and trains to a mortgage. Suppose you could do this for 25 years, at the end of it you'd own your Sydney house, the alternative being a pile of receipts.

From my reading of the article, they couldn't afford to get on the first rung of a Sydney mortgage...presumably because of the deposit required there. Therefore the only alternative is a lifetime of renting.

As if the average worker can afford this. All these costs will come out of the business. No way an average worker can afford to commute to Sydney every week.

Also look at all the costs just to be in sydney for 2 days a week. Would be way higher if you were there the whole week

Just before I retired 15 years ago, it was a fairly common thing to sell up in Sydney and buy cheap in northern NSW and commute to Sydney. Many of those people realised the commute was a bit too much, so they got work locally and have been quite happy in their lives. One bloke bought 3 houses from the money he got from his Sydney house, rented out two and only worked on a casual basis.

Not quite the same, now. Most houses out from sydney are fairly highly priced, which helped block that avenue.

I sold my house in New England for 3 times my buying price and that was after living there for 20 odd years.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived