Nurses - 457 to 189 Visa anybody done this?

DawnAndGraeme

Hi currently on 457 looking like applying for a 189 visa is our best option being that it has no lock in time like the 187 or 186 visa. However the 189 visa is mostly for people outside Australia who are applying for residency based on their profession and because of this there are many external bodies (VETASESS TRA ANMAC) that check people have the necessary skill level to apply for registration in Australia.

Before we came over i has considered getting my UK plumbing assessed through VETASSESS when we looked into it however it was much quicker for us to apply for a 457 Based on My wifes job (nurse) we had our 457 approved 2.5 yeas ago and have been living here ever since. She however is 'tied' to her employer.

the 189 talks about a 'skills assessment' surely this would not be applicable as she is already a RN in NSW. I am going to phone Imigration to seek clarification, but wondered if anybody else has gone through this ?

If she wants to apply for or without sponsorship then yes, she will need to do a skills assessment and many people do. If she is happy to do it via her employer sponsorship - 186/187 then she would not require a skills assessment and this visa is normally very quick to obtain.

If she wants to apply for or without sponsorship then yes, she will need to do a skills assessment and many people do. If she is happy to do it via her employer sponsorship - 186/187 then she would not require a skills assessment and this visa is normally very quick to obtain.

hmm.. thats a bit daft IMHO she is already a registered nurse here :(

Thanks stormy, it seems that she can do a modified assessment through anmac at a llower cost

• 4 weeks later...

Archived