Help! Any Maintenance fitters out there - advice welcomed!,

TraxFM

Me and my OH have 2 years left on a 175 PR visa but are currently facing a dilemma in the fact that my OH has started to doubt if we can afford to live in Australia. He is a maintenance Fitter and currently earns 30k but if we follow the 2.2 conversion rule it means he would need to earn roughly 66k AUD but all of the jobs we are seeing advertised in and around the Brisbane area aren't for that much.

I currently work for the local council on a part time basis but would be prepared to go full time if need be.

Any advice from any fitters or just any general advice with regards to the cost of living would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

• 2 months later...

Depends what your husband is experienced in. If he's got some experience in mining, screens, crushers, heavy plant, pumps, pipework, construction, shutdowns, then he might be able to get a FIFO job where the money can be very good. Would be good if he can weld and fabricate too, more he can do the better the options. 66K doesn't sound that much for an experienced maintenance fitter, sometimes that's the basic salary advertised without the overtime.

I know from experience that a lot of extra money is made through doing overtime.

Archived