Has anyone got stung on Customs when shipping their container ?

ctsw2001

AQIS are about everything to do with bringing in infectious plants, animals and diseases to Australia. Read the guidelines online and be honest in your declaration and clean everything that needs cleaning and you can't go wrong. Put all your wood items in together for example. A removal company we dealt with asked for a fee up front to cover the cost of cleaning anything we brought over prior to inspection. We said no as we had con formed to the requirements of AQIS and heard no more. Another rip off!

[h=2]Just put some notes on the form and on the goods[/h]

You have to declare items under 12 months old and sign a form, so they will assume that the item is older if not declared but if they think it is new, you will be charged. If in doubt, put a sticky label on the box.

I had some items that were unused but still boxed and were older than 12 months but I put explanations on them. Many boxes were checked including these as they were in a model railway which is high ish risk but were accepted.

And as I hoard boxes, we had lots of over 12 month old stuff in original cartons - again if they look newish, put a note on. It can't hurt, and a note will give information for a customs officer to use to judge it.

We declared Christmas presents less than 12 months old and put notes on explaining why they were "new" and we were not charged for them. We also had a garden strimmer that was new as it had been replaced under guarantee and saved as by then we knew we were emigrating and we bought some bedroom furniture to match existing as it was not available in Australia. We put the explanation on the box and the declaration and were not charged.

Basically if they sample some boxes and are satisfied with your cleanliness and honesty then they will pass the container sooner than if they have suspicions raised.

In short, customs don't care for the most part. If you brought in 100 of the same thing, in the original box, then they will. If its obvious that your stuff is what a normal person would own, they will not care at all. We shipped things like food and there was no issue at all....just be honest and if you do have things less than 12 months, as long as they "look" like they have been used, then you will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi...my wife brought loads of special shampoo and conditioner which is not avail here (she has thick Italian hair) and other bottles she wanted...all sealed with tape and then packed by the shippers. We used Robinsons and Grace but wouldn't again. Look for one that owns an Australian arm rather than just using a partner. They are less likely to blame each other if something goes wrong.

We brought a years worth of toiletries with us in the container (well they lasted a year!) we had no problems. We cleaned all my partners tools which took the large proportion of the shipping container & every toolbox was opened. We didnt have any problems at all but i invested a great deal of time in cleaning everything. We had one or two new items but we did not declare them on the form as they where taken out of their origianl packaging & packed with other tools in the container.

Have any of you included toiletries in your shipment?

And may i ask what shipping companies would u recommend

Yes i brought quite a bit,lol, mainly to tide me over until i found an alternative brand i / we liked. I also brought Calpol and a stock of the contraceptive pill along with some of my daughters prescription cream (i did include a script so they knew it was prescribed to me / her if they checked). I packed everything in a large plastic box and had no problems with customs.

We shipped with Crown Relo, i liked that included all costs and it was Crown here too, so no sub -contractors.

Cal x

Yes i brought quite a bit,lol, mainly to tide me over until i found an alternative brand i / we liked. I also brought Calpol and a stock of the contraceptive pill along with some of my daughters prescription cream (i did include a script so they knew it was prescribed to me / her if they checked). I packed everything in a large plastic box and had no problems with customs.

We shipped with Crown Relo, i liked that included all costs and it was Crown here too, so no sub -contractors.

Cal x

thanks to all who answered, really helpful! have u brought any nappies and wipes? any cleaning stuff like laundry liquid detergent and leather cleaners? did u bring baby formula as i have a 1 yr 10 month old daughter too, thanks in advance

We brought a years worth of toiletries with us in the container (well they lasted a year!) we had no problems. We cleaned all my partners tools which took the large proportion of the shipping container & every toolbox was opened. We didnt have any problems at all but i invested a great deal of time in cleaning everything. We had one or two new items but we did not declare them on the form as they where taken out of their origianl packaging & packed with other tools in the container.

i did some shopping today and they looked a lot but i was thinking of what youve said, around how many of each and what items did u take? i got soap, shampoo, toothpaste, baby vitamins, baby shampoo and soap, panty liner and tampons. thinking of bringing more, did u bring the same items or less ? please reply, i wanna bring more if i can

i did some shopping today and they looked a lot but i was thinking of what youve said, around how many of each and what items did u take? i got soap, shampoo, toothpaste, baby vitamins, baby shampoo and soap, panty liner and tampons. thinking of bringing more, did u bring the same items or less ? please reply, i wanna bring more if i can

Presumably you are aware that Australia has supermarkets with all of the items described freely available?

Presumably you are aware that Australia has supermarkets with all of the items described freely available?

yes im well aware but since im shipping my belongings already, a few items wouldnt hurt plus its cheaper here and its the brands i use

Archived