Birmingham to Brisbane

jobolt

Hi

I'm new to the site. My husband and I with our three small children are looking at moving over in the next two years. My husband is a CAD Manager for a timber frame housing company so was hoping to get sponsored. He was head hunted last year for a position in Perth but it wasn't right for us, so just hoping we get another opportunity but in Brisbane.

I've been researching different areas that are family friendly but until we actually get over there it's like a needle in a haystack. Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice of where they have moved to and what it's like for schooling, etc. Are the state schools okay? Don't think we'd be in a position to afford private. Is Gold Coast nicer than the Sunshine Coast?

Our biggest dilemma is of course leaving family behind and taking the kids away from their grandparents. How have people coped with this?

Looking forward to hearing from you lovely people:)

Jo

xx

Welcome :-).

My advice: wait for a job offer to be made before looking at house options. The reason being is that the Greater Brisbane catchment is massive (and beyond that, Sunshine and Gold Coasts). Consider Brisbane outright first as commutes are tough from both areas that you mention. Better to have a decent commute and a bit of work/life balance rather than spending 3 to 4 hours in the car every working day. The traffic from both coasts into the city during the week is heavy. You can make the most of the beaches at the weekends :-)

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright our kid how am ya :)

I originate from Solihull and have lived on the Sunshine Coast now for 3 years. My wife and two kids love it up here. If your husband can fit windows and doors then I have a job for him, CAD would be useful too. I came on a business visa and my company manufactures and fits aluminium windows and doors for the commercial market down in Brisbane.

If there is anything you want to know send me a PM and I'll try and help...It's the best move we ever made.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I don't talk like that:tongue:

Thanks for the offer, but he's office based. He manages a team of CAD Techs. Can't imagine him being a manual worker, haha! But I will ask him...;)

Thanks

Jo

That's the first mistake right there. You don't get to be fussy here, you take what's offered.

Hey Jo,

I was on here looking about car importing stuff, but I saw you namedrop Birmingham and had to write something! I see you're from Hollywood...I'm from Northfield...I feel your pain! I live in Toowoomba which is about an hour and a half away from Brisbane, a bit too long for a commute but it's a really nice place here to work and live...way cheaper cost of living than Brisbane and a hell of a lot smaller too, it has good schools, a good community and if you're husband does CAD for a living, there's plenty of building and engineering firms in town. It ain't by the sea but you're a brummie so what's new!? If you haven't heard of this place though, do check it out as I think you'd be surprised. It's always gonna be hard leaving family behind, it'll be the hardest thing you do if you're close to them, but it gets easier over time. For me, it's all about knowing that my kids will have a better life here and they won't have to put up with getting mugged on the 63 bus anymore on their way to school like I did!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived