189 application question

wulber78

Good morning

we are about to lodge our 189 application, and going through the document checklist. As we are only claiming points for age, english language and degree (giving us 60 points) does this mean the sections about partner skills and skilled employment are irrelevant to us and we don't need to send anything from these sections? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi peterc1983

thanks for replying, sorry I should have said that We do already have a positive skills assesment from anmac ready to send. It's the sections under partners skills and skilled employment that's is confusing me. Do we both need to do ielts for example? Or do we only send information on what we are actually trying to claim points for? Thanks again

Do you or your partner have a British passport? (Or from one of the specified Anglophone countries on the Immi website).

If he or she does, I don't believe IELTS is required for the partner element.

For the employment section for you, there is a tick box which states whether relevant for points for each entry you make. My position sounds similar to yours and I have just ticked the box to say each role is not relevant and I don't want it to count towards the points total.

Regarding your employment history of your partner, I believe you should do the same.

This is is all requested on the Form 80 so my view is best to be consistent (without accidentally claiming points you don't want to claim for! :-) )

I hope the above is helpful. Worth googling to check the above is not a contradiction to anything you may understand already...I am not a Migration Agent. ;-)

Hi SRH82

thank you for replying, yes both of us are British citizens with passports so that clears up that issue . As for the work experience, are you saying you put in all your references and just ticked the box to say NOT relevant for points? As I wasn't sure whether to leave references out altogether? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your reply. Thanks again.

No problem re: IELTS. That is my understanding and we will lodge as soon as all the de facto evidence is ready.

What do you mean by references? There should be a tick box once you enter against each role you enter as part of your employment history.

There was nowhere on the application that I could see that requested this type of information.

If you didn't include work experience my understanding is this is not required.

Might becan can idea to check your EOI to make sure you have done this correctly and not over claimed.

Hi OP. We did this a couple of weeks ago and appear to have a very similar situation.

My wife is the main applicant (nurse) and we also didn't want to claim for my wife's work experience.

As we understood it, we had to upload all work history stuff but ticked 'not relevant' on the EOI. Then when we did the visa application we submitted work experience proof but also uploaded a note explaining that we weren't claiming for work experience and why. (Variable work hours/maternity leave).

I think as long as it's clear, honest and consistent across all your inputs (EOI, visa application, supporting documents) it should be fine.

I am also not a mara agent! But that's what we did.

• 4 weeks later...
Good morning

we are about to lodge our 189 application, and going through the document checklist. As we are only claiming points for age, english language and degree (giving us 60 points) does this mean the sections about partner skills and skilled employment are irrelevant to us and we don't need to send anything from these sections? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

Is there any progress on your application status?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

My partner and I are also both in the same situation. So to clarify, you are required to document all work history (is this relevant history only relating to our occupation, or is it all history) even if we will not be claiming points for our work? If this is the case are references/supporting documents indicating work history required?

Your advice would be most appreciated.

Hello all,

My partner and I are also both in the same situation. So to clarify, you are required to document all work history (is this relevant history only relating to our occupation, or is it all history) even if we will not be claiming points for our work? If this is the case are references/supporting documents indicating work history required?

Your advice would be most appreciated.

I think definitely document all work history relating to your profession, even when not claiming. Maybe just put all your work history? I'm no expert though. We were told to include everything and not claim as

We had 60 points through other means (IELTS, age etc)

This was the bit we found hardest (EOI), so we paid a consulting fee to a mara agent to ensure we did it all correctly. Worth the money I reckon.

He's on here as @wrussell or you can find him doing a Google search for Westly Russell - pinoy au dot com I think

Fair nuff. When we did our EOI we were naturally worried about cocking it all up. We put all our work experience down, but it sounds like you don't have to. But if you did, it probably does no harm either. Whatever works. As long as you get the visa, it's all good.

The main thing that's important is not to claim for anything that's going to cause any issues. So any points you claim need to be totally safe and valid. As long as you have 60, that's all you need.

Archived