Contacting Immigration strange question, Help

annagilda

Hi gang,

This is a random one, most of you will know that I had a holiday in Australia a few weeks ago, well, I arrived on a brand spanking new passport that was all fine. when I got to immigration at the airport, they couldn't scan my passport and they had to ring someone or something to check that it was ok, then they stamped it and I was on my way.

The same thing happened on the way home, they couldn't scan it and I had to wait while they rang some office. The officer said he had never seen a passport like this before and it must be a new way the Dutch government are doing things, he handed me back my passport and I got on the plane.

The other day I looked through my passport and there is no stamp in it to say I actually left Australia, also they were obviously unable to scan it.

My question is, how do I get in contact with immigration to double check that they know I left the country as per my visa conditions and I am not overstaying? I have this awful vision of trying to go back in a year or 2 and being slapped with a 3 year ban.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, so thanks in advance. :-)

You should be able to check this using VEVO: https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

If you can login using VEVO, it should show the status of your visa and it should show current location as "offshore".

If you do not have TRN, grant number or password (one of these is needed to login in addition to your passport details), then you could ask any MARA agent to check using your passport details - should only take a few seconds to check and you can get a pdf confirmation that DIBP have you recorded as now being offshore. Let me know if any difficulty.

My Nigerian passport has the same issue. they never can get the scan thing to work in Australia. works fine in every other country i have been to though.

And yes, things are more electronic nowadays but its always good to check if you can. I don't expect you have much to worry about though.

You should be able to check this using VEVO: https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

If you can login using VEVO, it should show the status of your visa and it should show current location as "offshore".

If you do not have TRN, grant number or password (one of these is needed to login in addition to your passport details), then you could ask any MARA agent to check using your passport details - should only take a few seconds to check and you can get a pdf confirmation that DIBP have you recorded as now being offshore. Let me know if any difficulty.

That is perfect! Thank you ever so much, it is showing as being offshore, so no need to worry. Really appreciate the replies. I was just worried how they stamped my passport when I arrived but not when I left, like they did in my old passport.

Thanks again anyway, it's put my mind at ease.

Archived