190 visa - 6 month follow-up survey. Do i tell them i've moved interstate?

CommanderMaxil

Bit torn about what to do here. Just got my 6 month review from the ACT government and trying to decide whther to reply. I've set out my job-search struggles upon arrival and eventual move to Darwin for a job in the NTG in another thread but to cut a long story short, I moved for a job offer due to a lack of work in Canberra. The form itself does ask where i am now living and reasons for moving away from the ACT if i have moved so i could give it to them straight, but should I? As far as i am aware there is nothing the ACT government can actually do to punish me for moving, and my job area is no longer on the wanted list so its not even as though it could affect other people in my position trying to move from the UK, but i find myself hesitating. I really had intended to do the 2 years i committed to, but of course i had no idea how hard it would be to find work before i got here. In some repsects though i was a little embarrassed about how much i struggled to find work so i suppose i would have to admit that, on some level, i failed to do what i came here to do, i.e. survive and thrive in Canberra.

Grateful for any views frankly

You are right, there is nothing the state government can do and you certainly are not obliged to fill in their form. I guess if you felt so inclined you could give feedback on the difficulty of finding jobs, so maybe they consider their sponsorship list a bit more carefully in future.

How about writing to your ACT migration officer and get her/him reply to you in this matter. At least you'd have an OFFICIAL reply in this matter that you can save. We did and all I can say, no worries. But it makes you sleep better because you have it in writing from an ACT agent. We are off here soon, fingers crossed.

As for the survey, fill it out. I believe there is a section where you have to state if you have moved and why. Give them the business!

After all, it is your livelihood at stake and since you are not eligible to benefits you need to go where they really WANT you. Btw, do you like Darwin still?

Can it affect my citizenship? At present its only 50/50 whether I would even go for citizenship, I don't plan to stay here past 3 or 4 years but I may decide to go for it to allow any future children I have to come to Australia unhindered so I want to at least keep my options open

oh, and it won't affect your citizenship: your visa has no restrictions (as per the reply to us from our ACT settlement officer)

Can it affect my citizenship? At present its only 50/50 whether I would even go for citizenship, I don't plan to stay here past 3 or 4 years but I may decide to go for it to allow any future children I have to come to Australia unhindered so I want to at least keep my options open

Thanks for this Maggie thats really helpful advice. I have now completed my survey and set out my situation exactly to the ACT govt people. I may follow this up with a separate email to my resettlement officer as well. In the end i don't feel i could have really done differently than i did, since it is hardly in anyone's interest for people to have to head back home due to not being able to find work.

As for Darwin, i love it! No regrets at all its an amazing place. The weather is beautiful (though it is really starting to heat up now) and there is lots going on here, probably more than in Canberra (though accepting that i was in the ACT for winter, and have been in Darwin during the tourist season). It is a little more expensive than the ACT, i think my rent here is pretty high (even compared to London) but on the other hand now i actually have a job and a decent salary i don't need to worry too much about what i am buying in Coles when i shop (though i do miss Aldi, which hasn't reached the NT yet), and i have been able to find a flat that is within walking distance of my office, so no need to buy a car. Perhaps most tellingly though is that i have already been approached by recruitment agents about jobs here in Darwin who have seen on my profile on linkedin that i am in the NT. In my field at least there seems to be plenty of work and a shortage of local candidates to do it, as well as difficulties in recruiting other australians to move here so for me at least i seem to have really fallen on my feet. Looks like i'll be here a good 18-24 months by which time i should be in a stronger position to find work elsewhere in Australia.

Thanks for this Maggie thats really helpful advice. I have now completed my survey and set out my situation exactly to the ACT govt people. I may follow this up with a separate email to my resettlement officer as well. In the end i don't feel i could have really done differently than i did, since it is hardly in anyone's interest for people to have to head back home due to not being able to find work.

As for Darwin, i love it! No regrets at all its an amazing place. The weather is beautiful (though it is really starting to heat up now) and there is lots going on here, probably more than in Canberra (though accepting that i was in the ACT for winter, and have been in Darwin during the tourist season). It is a little more expensive than the ACT, i think my rent here is pretty high (even compared to London) but on the other hand now i actually have a job and a decent salary i don't need to worry too much about what i am buying in Coles when i shop (though i do miss Aldi, which hasn't reached the NT yet), and i have been able to find a flat that is within walking distance of my office, so no need to buy a car. Perhaps most tellingly though is that i have already been approached by recruitment agents about jobs here in Darwin who have seen on my profile on linkedin that i am in the NT. In my field at least there seems to be plenty of work and a shortage of local candidates to do it, as well as difficulties in recruiting other australians to move here so for me at least i seem to have really fallen on my feet. Looks like i'll be here a good 18-24 months by which time i should be in a stronger position to find work elsewhere in Australia.

Glad it worked out for you in Darwin Commander. I like Darwin, travelled up there a lot with work.

I would fill the form in and be truthful, can't see that it would cause you any problems as you have made the best of a bad situation and have a job. You never know in the future what may happen though, governments love to change rules and even though you might think they wouldn't keep track of whether you sent back a form or not, computers are very good at that sort of thing and it may come back to bite you.

Good luck. I would use your time in Darwin to save up and travel round a bit in Aus. Places are so different and it's worth going to have a look at a few to see where you think you might be able to settle properly, if you want to that is.:cool:

Bit torn about what to do here. Just got my 6 month review from the ACT government and trying to decide whther to reply. I've set out my job-search struggles upon arrival and eventual move to Darwin for a job in the NTG in another thread but to cut a long story short, I moved for a job offer due to a lack of work in Canberra. The form itself does ask where i am now living and reasons for moving away from the ACT if i have moved so i could give it to them straight, but should I? As far as i am aware there is nothing the ACT government can actually do to punish me for moving, and my job area is no longer on the wanted list so its not even as though it could affect other people in my position trying to move from the UK, but i find myself hesitating. I really had intended to do the 2 years i committed to, but of course i had no idea how hard it would be to find work before i got here. In some repsects though i was a little embarrassed about how much i struggled to find work so i suppose i would have to admit that, on some level, i failed to do what i came here to do, i.e. survive and thrive in Canberra.

Grateful for any views frankly

Mate I just done my last one for VIC and I now reside in Sydney, I told them of my job struggles 6 months after i landed in Melbourne. They said I was obliged to remain in the state for 2 years BUT if I had to move for work purposes then so be it.

Just fill it out and state that you reside in Darwin as lack of work opportunities in the ACT has forced you to relocate. They wont say anything. Trust me, I can PM you the e-mail they sent me to give me the nod to leave VIC.

Archived