Hubby's got a job... now lots of questions :o)

annimac76

Hi everyone

My husband just accepted a job in Melbourne to start in January in sponsored 457 position.

So, first job will be applying for the visa.

But, as it's looking like we'll probably be flying at Christmas (in between finishing our jobs on 19 December and starting new ones 5 and 12 January - prob opting to fly on 24 or 25 December), what would your advice be on when to book flights out and our short-term rental (e.g. as soon as we've signed job contracts or not until we get our visas).

Another questions is people's experiences of how quickly you secure a long-term rental after arriving. Our plan was to organise a short-term rental for 6-8 weeks. In your experiences, is that enough time to secure a long-term rental?

Also on a "things to take" point:

- what should we buy that definitely more expensive to get in Oz? (e.g. I've heard bedding and white goods)

- should you bother taking large electricals (e.g. our widescreen TV, a fridge freezer) or will they not work properly because of differences in voltage?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Annmarie

I don't what to make assumptions,but if your family generally celebrates Christmas, I really would not be flying on 24th or 25th December, Christmas will be be the same again once you are in australia, enjoy your last proper one (for a while) and fly Boxing Day!

Generally people will secure a rental within 3-4 weeks, some quicker, not many longer. Although you are arriving at peak holiday season so it might take a bit longer than average.

just bring what you have, I find adapting is the best thing to do, not bring a years supply of your favourite washing powder (I have seen some consider it!). I believe the voltage is the same here.

Congratulations on the job. I'm inclined you say celebrate Christmas in UK with your family, you never know when you might be able to do it again, then travel Boxing Day or the day after. Other thing would be not to quit your UK jobs but take a career break - the 457 is a temporary visa after all.

6-8 weeks should be ample to find permanent accommodation and what to bring? That's a difficult one! I'd be inclined to pare things down to the minimum and really start to declutter now but I've always tended to travel quite light. Bed sizes are different btw so fitted sheets wouldn't be much good. Your tv will probably only work with cable or a set top box.

Agree with the others, don't travel over Christmas. Spend it with loved ones or just have a mini break away somewhere on your own. Go sometime after, even after new years or between Christmas and NY.

6-8 weeks should be more than enough time to find a longer term rental. Don't know about Melbourne but round here its proably a few weeks too long. Most tend to go for 3-4 weeks as short term furnished is really expensive and they can find something in that time. Bear in mind though its the summer hols till the end of Jan and it could get quieter or busier, depending on what people do.

If you are on a temp visa I'd not go overboard with buying masses to bring. It is a temp visa and you may not wish to stay at the end of it or even see the 4 years out. You may have to return if the job doesn't work out for whatever reason. It does happen.

I'd just de clutter, ship the decent stuff and things you want to keep/bring, personal effects and sell or recycle the rest. If you are shipping beds then yes, bedding and bed linen is good but don't buy if you already have a decent amount. If buying beds over here, they are different sizes (not a big difference but can notice on fitted sheets or bed length for duvets) so buy sheets here.

Electricals will work but pointless shipping a 10 year old fridge freezer for example. Aus fridges are much bigger (wider) than UK ones and the spaces in houses for them is always big. TV's will work, if its decent, ship it. Set top freeview box to watch. I don't really find that much difference in the price of electricals tbh. At least not white goods. I bought a $400 Miele vaccum for $200 the other week. I find small electricals can be pricier but it depends on the make or what you are after. But I shop around and get good deals. I also made a point of not rushing out to buy everything we wanted/needed straight away and have slowly added as time has gone on and spent a bit of time price comparing, keeping an eye out on specials and things like that. And once earning Aus $$ its all a bit moot anyways, keep on comparing to what you might pay back in the UK with the exchange rate fluctuating, it could cost you £150 one day and £130 equivalent the next iykwim. Stop comparing asap and try to think $$ only.

Also on a "things to take" point:

- what should we buy that definitely more expensive to get in Oz? (e.g. I've heard bedding and white goods)

- should you bother taking large electricals (e.g. our widescreen TV, a fridge freezer) or will they not work properly because of differences in voltage?

my partner and I discussed this at the weekend! We are looking to move first 3-4 months of next year and have decided to take:

1) Personal knick knacks - ie, whatever small items are sentimental/valuable to us. For me, this is pictures/photos and various things picked up on travels, and some other bits, so nothing big.

2) CDs and books - not sure but probably.

2) All kitchen stuff apart from crockery. we don't have any big electrical items (food processor, breadmaker etc) so that's not a worry.

3) Computer equipment

4) Possibly the sofa and bed/mattress but depends on cost of shipping vs. replacement. I suspect we'll end up leaving them but reluctantly!

5) Tools

6) Bedding and towels - we don't have a huge amount of this, but even if it ends up not being used, it won't take up much room.

7) Clothes etc.

I think that's it... we live in rented so don't have fridge/freezer etc and otherwise the furniture we do have, is not of much worth and we are not very attached to it either!

Archived