Class sizes - reception to Yr12

Ali B

• 4 weeks later...

Was wondering about this today. Schools don't seem to publish these details on their websites.

I'm looking at Mount Martha area (MMPS, Balcombe, Osborne, Dromana at a stretch).

Having issue with my boy at the moment, just turned 7 with 30 kids in class here in UK. He's going through that needing attention phase or he miss behaves.

Teacher just says she's to busy.

We are off Aug '15 latest.

Was wondering about this today. Schools don't seem to publish these details on their websites.

I'm looking at Mount Martha area (MMPS, Balcombe, Osborne, Dromana at a stretch).

Having issue with my boy at the moment, just turned 7 with 30 kids in class here in UK. He's going through that needing attention phase or he miss behaves.

Teacher just says she's to busy.

We are off Aug '15 latest.

Have you had a look at Benton College (state school) http://benton.vic.edu.au/home good school on the Mornington Penninsular

Do you mean people worrying about class sizes in Australian schools?

If so, yes they are smaller than we experienced in the UK.

However there is a lot less Teacher Aide time once they leave Prep. My son's school in the UK had 30 children compared to 24 year but a full time TA for every class in the school.

It's not a deal breaker, just something I had not thought about before. When I was at school in the Eighties, can't remember any more than 20 in all my stage years.

Just been talking about it here in the uk. 3 classes in year group all with 30-32 kids. I was stupid enough to ask what happens if more kids move to area, like do you start a new class at some point. Was told we just make then sit on the floor !!!

Also another Q. Here in Hampshire, classes are mixed ages. Never had that when I was a kid. ie year 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 are in same class together for 2 years. Does that happen in Oz, esp Vic. ??

Yes am aware of Bentons. Will come down to catchment area. We really liked the older part of Mount Martha, South of the creek. Was staying off Hearn Road over new years.

With the new link Road, it's not so bad living further South, even towards Dromana me thinks ?? (for someone who won't work in CBD)

Also another Q. Here in Hampshire, classes are mixed ages. Never had that when I was a kid. ie year 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 are in same class together for 2 years. Does that happen in Oz, esp Vic. ??

I grew up in Victoria and definitely had composite classes at my primary school. That was a couple of decades ago though so not sure if it's still commonplace.

It's not a deal breaker, just something I had not thought about before. When I was at school in the Eighties, can't remember any more than 20 in all my stage years.

Just been talking about it here in the uk. 3 classes in year group all with 30-32 kids. I was stupid enough to ask what happens if more kids move to area, like do you start a new class at some point. Was told we just make then sit on the floor !!!

Yes am aware of Bentons. Will come down to catchment area. We really liked the older part of Mount Martha, South of the creek. Was staying off Hearn Road over new years.

With the new link Road, it's not so bad living further South, even towards Dromana me thinks ?? (for someone who won't work in CBD)

Very common to have composite classes in Australia. Some schools have all of their classes structured that way, whereas other schools do so only when needed due to numbers.

Archived