On the edge of my seat...

jac2011

I have an IELTS exam on the 20th September in a building next to or very very close to this building (It is on the Jubilee campus):

http://www.nottinghampost.com/breaks-University-Nottingham-s-Jubilee-Campus/story-22917564-detail/story.html

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-09-12/major-fire-at-nottingham-university/

hope there are no casualties. Know the area well as ex Nottingham (Keyworth)

I have an IELTS exam on the 20th September in a building next to or very very close to this building (It is on the Jubilee campus):

http://www.nottinghampost.com/breaks-University-Nottingham-s-Jubilee-Campus/story-22917564-detail/story.html

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-09-12/major-fire-at-nottingham-university/

Sad when this happens. :-(

Is there not somewhere else locally you can sit the exam?

Ramot, not sure if I said this before but I lived in Keyworth for 3 years, moved to Ruddington in Feb this year just to be closer to work!

No casualties luckily and initial reports this morning is that 60 firemen managed to control the fire and stop it spreading. Such an amazing area with some amazing buildings down that road. Unfortunately this was a state of the art Chemistry building they were building that they were hoping would have a major impact on sustainable chemistry in the UK. Glaxoklinesmith had also invested £12 million and now it is a pile of ashes. It's taken around four years of planning and building and was almost finished.

Well looks like IELTS will still be ok... Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

It could have been so much worse though, luckily most students are home, the building was not in use and no firemen came to harm. For a fire of that size I think that's quite incredible.

Ramot, not sure if I said this before but I lived in Keyworth for 3 years, moved to Ruddington in Feb this year just to be closer to work!

No casualties luckily and initial reports this morning is that 60 firemen managed to control the fire and stop it spreading. Such an amazing area with some amazing buildings down that road. Unfortunately this was a state of the art Chemistry building they were building that they were hoping would have a major impact on sustainable chemistry in the UK. Glaxoklinesmith had also invested £12 million and now it is a pile of ashes. It's taken around four years of planning and building and was almost finished.

Well looks like IELTS will still be ok... Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

It could have been so much worse though, luckily most students are home, the building was not in use and no firemen came to harm. For a fire of that size I think that's quite incredible.

You should not be worried about IELTS if your first language is English and you have familiarised yourself with the exam format a few times.

Its the fact I need a level 8 that scares me, just a small issue and I wont achieve it. The 3rd part of the listening seems hard. I am not particularly clued up with politics, art or history and most the examples I have seen appear to focus on them! Also the T, F and NG seem to trip me up at times.

General or the other one?

I was nervous as well but you just need to stay composed, pace yourself and tell yourself that English is your first language don't try to re-invent the wheel! Keep the language straightforward, concentrate in the listening and keep to the format that is wanted for the writing and I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Testing your English rather than your knowledge of a particular matter.

Its the fact I need a level 8 that scares me, just a small issue and I wont achieve it. The 3rd part of the listening seems hard. I am not particularly clued up with politics, art or history and most the examples I have seen appear to focus on them! Also the T, F and NG seem to trip me up at times.

I'm sure you'll be fine if English is your first language, but if you do miss getting an 8 on the writing part but are close it's worth paying to get it remarked. I got a 7.5 and they changed it to an 8.5 (cost about £60 but they refund it if they increase your grade). It's more subjective than the reading and listening that are right or wrong answers. Best of luck.

Archived