Dependant Other than Spouse

abs1885

Hi.....I have been in Australia for like 4 years on student visa and now i am going to apply for*pr.My brother came on student visa aswell 2 years.From last two years i am the one who is paying his rent,fuel,medical bills,clothing,transport and his school fees aswell.I have documented proof of everything.Can i apply him as my dependent along with my*PR.

Hi.....I have been in Australia for like 4 years on student visa and now i am going to apply for*pr.My brother came on student visa aswell 2 years.From last two years i am the one who is paying his rent,fuel,medical bills,clothing,transport and his school fees aswell.I have documented proof of everything.Can i apply him as my dependent along with my*PR.

No not necessarily. Just because you paid for something doesn't mean you had to or he is dependent. What did he do for the first two years whilst you were here alone? Where are your parents?

From what you have posted you would very likely be able to include your brother as a dependent family member.

I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about the criteria.

From what you have posted you would very likely be able to include your brother as a dependent family member.

This sounds sensible as DIBP allow a full time student to be considered as a dependent and if the OP has been paying the living costs for the student, then the student could be seen as dependent on the OP. But given that the OP was on a student visa too, would DIBP really accept the brother as a dependent of the OP or would they consider that the pair of them were dependent upon their overseas parents, albeit with money being routed through the OP's bank account?

I agree that it would be worth speaking to an agent, but I would have thought the decision could go either way.

Archived