Moving tips? What to take, sell and timings...

Daisy36

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for all the replies. Really useful! I've already gone out today and bought some new towels! Bed linen is next!

Now im in a dilemma as I think I will have too much stuff for a large movecube but not enough for a container. I've not spoken to any shipping companies but from what I've read they average about £4-5k? Is that right? So I'm thinking 2 move cubes may be the best option as that would be about £2k. What have other people done when they are inbetween a movecube and container size?

Thanks

Remember as well large companies like PSS, Masons etc also do split containers the only down side I've seen with these is that you sometimes have to wait until he container is filled before your items leave the dock so whatever time frame they give you add another 4 weeks on and you should be right.

Remember as well large companies like PSS, Masons etc also do split containers the only down side I've seen with these is that you sometimes have to wait until he container is filled before your items leave the dock so whatever time frame they give you add another 4 weeks on and you should be right.

Do you know roughly how much shared containers are? How does that work? Assume the company takes your stuff away and then loads it to a shared container so everything has to be boxed up? I couldn't have random laundry bags of linen or random kids scooter?

Guest The Pom Queen
Do you know roughly how much shared containers are? How does that work? Assume the company takes your stuff away and then loads it to a shared container so everything has to be boxed up? I couldn't have random laundry bags of linen or random kids scooter?

I don't know prices but lots of members have done this so they may be able to tell you the ins and outs. I think you wouldn't have to box everything but it would probably have to be labelled.

We were in a shared container with our 62 boxes.

A 1 bed flat, we left behind the bed, fridge/freezer, washing machine and wardrobes. All bar the bed were built in anyway....

Chairs, table, bedroom suite, 3 seater leather recliner, single recliner, tv cabinet & tv, kitchen knick nacks and crockery, camping gear, clothes for 2 1/2, mirrors, pictures/paintings, a few boxes of books, tools, toys etc.

It came to £1800 with Pickfords. Easy. Their insurance was a few hundred on top of that and paid out really quickly for the stuff that was broken.

I cant remember the volume but it would have been a lot bigger than a large move cube.

They supplied and boxed everything up, no loose stuff at all. It took about 4 hours solid for the two of them. They unpacked it all this end too and took the packing materials with them.

They packed it all away near Leeds at the start of August, it took until the end of Aug to get on the boat and it turned up in Melbourne during the first week of oct.

Edited by dmjg

Thanks for the info on the shared container. Very useful. I guess I now need to call around as few companies and get some quotes. Only issue is They are going to ask m how much stuff I have and I've no idea what my stuff relates to in boxes or volume!

The quoter came around with a notepad and we walked around the apartment pointing and saying 'yes' or 'no' to every single item.

We've done shared and our stuff came in at £1600(ish). Only downside is that it was packed up in the UK 4/8 and only left the UK yesterday!!

We used Crown and, apart from the 5 weeks sat on the dock, they were really good.

Everyone that quoted us came around and we walked thru the house and they made a list of everything. We chose Crown purely because they came out slightly cheaper than the others.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just booked Crown and using a separate insurance company. The packers come on 13/14th October. I am still doing the yes/no to my own stuff....can't wait till it's all done.

We are carbooting stuff and trying to shift some on FB selling pages locally. Next step is Ebay for the bigger stuff, once I have finished sorting.......kids room next...eek!

Wishing I had started the clear out much much earlier.:eek:.x

Good luck Wen!!

I found a group on Facebook where people in my local area could post things they were selling. In the last few weeks, when I realised I'd need to go to the tip with stuff, I advertised it on there for peanuts - gave away a bed, sold a fridge freezer for £10 and gave our washing machine away for free!! Some of it went to people snapping up a bargain, some of it went to someone setting up their first home and couldn't afford much. In the end, they saved us hiring a van to go to the tip and I hope karma happens!!!

Its been fun buying new out here!! Just wish my sofas weren't somewhere on the water and here!!!

Good luck Wen!!

I found a group on Facebook where people in my local area could post things they were selling. In the last few weeks, when I realised I'd need to go to the tip with stuff, I advertised it on there for peanuts - gave away a bed, sold a fridge freezer for £10 and gave our washing machine away for free!! Some of it went to people snapping up a bargain, some of it went to someone setting up their first home and couldn't afford much. In the end, they saved us hiring a van to go to the tip and I hope karma happens!!!

Its been fun buying new out here!! Just wish my sofas weren't somewhere on the water and here!!!

It's been quite cathartic, clearing out old stuff. OH is enjoying it a little too much. He says I am a magpie....he's totally right, of course!

Hope your sofas are there soon, from their cruise across the world. Strange to think, the journey they take:wink: x

We were simular in that we boxed up what we really wanted and worked towards those items which we could live without. Towards the end, we were giving stuff away including beds etc. our washing machine, fridge etc remained in the UK as we are renting our house out, in a way this is a pity as they were good brands (AEG) and it is eye watering how much they will be to replace here in Brisbane!

Our contents are are also bobbing away on the high seas and I am looking forward to receiving them. We have a full container and really should sort through things before establishing our new home. We are lucky our rental has a huge double lockup garage to allow us to do this plus store our record collection.

S

Hi Daisy - good luck with your move. You don't say in your post where you are moving to in Oz and the type of house you will be living in. In the suburbs and regional areas the home here tend to be quite spacious. I am going the other way, back to the UK and culling like mad as I have a five bedroom house all with built in wardrobes. Also some of my furniture is quite large and too big for the style of home I'll be buying in the UK (3 bedroom semi!), however based on experiences on this forum I am still going to take as much as possible to reduce the initial financial shock as much as possible!

Bring duvet covers!!! Went shopping today and for a really decent king set which you could get for £100 in the Uk retails at $500. Just going to use duvet sandwiched between two sheets till our container arrives. However found the actual duvets & dunlop latex pillows (couldn't justify cost before)

are half the price here.

Spent some of today walking around our place saying 'yes' that can go and 'nope' get rid!! I don't think that we'll be taking a lot as we'll be living with our daughter and family but think we'll have a small 'Movecube'. It's been really good to read your comments and it's changed our minds about one or two things that we thought about taking or not as the case may be. We have a little way to go yet but I think starting now to get shot of clutter is a good start.

Best wishes to you all