minimum disruption to education

Guest dee67

Guest dee67

Our eldest daughter will be 14 in August and should start her GCSE courses here in September. What year would that put her in the aussie education system and how could i best try to manage the change for her so as not to set her back? She already has very defenite ideas about what she wants to study in higher ed. .Our other daughters are younger and so less of a worry. Any advice would be great.:spinny:

Guest One-And-Only

Your daughter would go into year 10 out in Australia, if you moved out this year.

The school year has two semesters, the 1st starting in January going through to June and the 2nd starts in July and finishes in December.

One possiblity is to put her into school at the start of 2009, so she would start year 11 at the smae time as everyone else.

I'm in the exact same position as your daughter (14 years old, starting GCSE courses at start of June for some reason), but i'm moving out in June so i can start the second semester.

Hope that helps!

It all depends which state you go to and exactly when your daughter's birthday is as to which year she would go into. She could be year 9 this year or she could be year 10.

The most important thing to work out is that she arrives so she can begin year 11 with her cohort because the final two years of school lead to a year 12 certificate which will give her a university entrance score. In very general terms (and depending on the state) kids would be starting year 11 as they turn 16 or are about to turn 16. Remember that the school year here starts at the end of January and goes through to December.

This site may help.

Archived