Teaching ICT jobs in oz

satchet

Hi will be applying to immigrate and currently awaiting my qualifications assessed by AITSL. Once I am registered with the teaching board I was wondering what the chances of securing an ICT job being advertised and whether I am likely to get a permanent position? I am interested in Adelaide and Queensland?

After your qualifications are assessed and you have your visa you can apply to register with the teaching registration board in the state of your choice. It takes a few weeks and you will need to submit all of your documents again.

Permanent jobs are like gold dust. It is a matter of applying, perhaps doing relief teaching and persevering.

You need to apply for a license to teach in the respective states. The license requires good English, experience and police check from overseas and Australia. After that sign up for a 3-4 month unpaid internship program which costs $4k. At the end of the program the school might or might not take you in as a casual relief teacher. If performance is good you might be able to secure a term contract for teaching. The focus of the internship is to introduce you to the Australian syllabus and introduce you to the schools.

You need to apply for a license to teach in the respective states. The license requires good English, experience and police check from overseas and Australia. After that sign up for a 3-4 month unpaid internship program which costs $4k. At the end of the program the school might or might not take you in as a casual relief teacher. If performance is good you might be able to secure a term contract for teaching. The focus of the internship is to introduce you to the Australian syllabus and introduce you to the schools.

What a load of old rubbish!!

Do not sign up for an unpaid internship on any account!!! I have never heard anything so ridiculous on here.

I speak as an experienced educator and there are more of us on here who will say exactly the same..

What you should most certainly do is personally hand deliver your CV to schools and introduce yourself to the Admin team. Relief teaching is most often the foot in the door and leads to fixed term contracts.

Please ignore the post above and please do not think that you will need to hand over $4000 to anybody!

What a load of old rubbish!!

Do not sign up for an unpaid internship on any account!!! I have never heard anything so ridiculous on here.

I speak as an experienced educator and there are more of us on here who will say exactly the same..

What you should most certainly do is personally hand deliver your CV to schools and introduce yourself to the Admin team. Relief teaching is most often the foot in the door and leads to fixed term contracts.

Please ignore the post above and please do not think that you will need to hand over $4000 to anybody!

please note that this is from the VIT - Victorian institute of teaching website. I assume the rules apply to other states too. The institute involved is Holmesglen.

please note that this is from the VIT - Victorian institute of teaching website. I assume the rules apply to other states too. The institute involved is Holmesglen.

The OP needs to register with the teaching registration board in the state they wish to teach. As a qualified and registered teacher they do not need to fork out $4000 for an internship.

However,I have just looked up the institute that you referred to, it is purely for ESL teachers and is a refresher course. It is not the standard entry for teachers coming to Australia and whilst it may be relevant to you, for the majority it is not. You need to be clear in your posts, otherwise all teachers will start panicking that they have to do this.

Thanks for the reply but this is what I was told. I am not promoting the institute, just merely conveying information. The internship was explained as not compulsory for foreign trained teachers but encouraged to maximise employability. A foreign trained teacher with provisional registration with VIT is encouraged to take up the course.

The OP needs to register with the teaching registration board in the state they wish to teach. As a qualified and registered teacher they do not need to fork out $4000 for an internship.

However,I have just looked up the institute that you referred to, it is purely for ESL teachers and is a refresher course. It is not the standard entry for teachers coming to Australia and whilst it may be relevant to you, for the majority it is not. You need to be clear in your posts, otherwise all teachers will start panicking that they have to do this.

It is not merely for ESL as I do not teach ESL. You may contact Ronda, who is the co-ordinator. The program is described here:

http://www.holmesglen.edu.au/programs/language_centre/professional_employment_programs/teachers

It is not easy finding a job as a teacher in IT here with VIT and AITSL and many years of experience. Many schools need Australian work experience, which is where migrants lack.

It is not merely for ESL as I do not teach ESL. You may contact Ronda, who is the co-ordinator. The program is described here:

http://www.holmesglen.edu.au/programs/language_centre/professional_employment_programs/teachers

It is not easy finding a job as a teacher in IT here with VIT and AITSL and many years of experience. Many schools need Australian work experience, which is where migrants lack.

Yes and most migrants get the work experience from relief teaching. Most certainly do not need to do a three month course.

I will clarify, what I meant to say was that the course is geared towards people who speak English as a second language..

A big thanks for all your posts I feel relieved and clear what I need to do. Thank you for clarifying the point about Internship.

You are welcome and be assured that most people certainly do not need to do an internship in Australia.

Relief teaching is by far the most effective way into contract positions.

You are welcome and be assured that most people certainly do not need to do an internship in Australia.

Relief teaching is by far the most effective way into contract positions.

Even relief teaching is hard to secure. Sometimes the only way to kickstart a teaching career is via internship. Note that it is not because a migrant has insufficient English skills - lots of people I know have all 8s. It is simply because they do not have Australian teaching experience. Having Australian professional references often is not enough.

Even relief teaching is hard to secure. Sometimes the only way to kickstart a teaching career is via internship. Note that it is not because a migrant has insufficient English skills - lots of people I know have all 8s. It is simply because they do not have Australian teaching experience. Having Australian professional references often is not enough.

I think Sammy has covered off internship now. I am not a teacher, but am an established professional and I do not expect to be working for free at this stage if my life. I am sure a qualified teacher feels just the same. Internships are for kids.

I think Sammy has covered off internship now. I am not a teacher, but am an established professional and I do not expect to be working for free at this stage if my life. I am sure a qualified teacher feels just the same. Internships are for kids.

I feel the same way after having more than 10 years experience in the teaching industry back home. However, sometimes it is the only way.

Relief teaching requires a bit of footwork, that's all and there is also the option to join an agency. Admin (at any school) love it when people personally deliver a CV and introduce themselves. An internship is NOT the norm at all, but I think I will leave it here now.

Relief teaching requires a bit of footwork, that's all and there is also the option to join an agency. Admin (at any school) love it when people personally deliver a CV and introduce themselves. An internship is NOT the norm at all, but I think I will leave it here now.

Thanks Sammy1. Will try that soon.

Archived