Can you rent before you get a job?

aconcannon

So my husband and I will be looking for somewhere to rent in/around the Gold Coast in the very near future and we are wondering how difficult this will proove before we get jobs?

When we arrive we won't have anybody there to stay with and so will hopefully line up some rental viewings prior to arriving with the aim of moving in to one before finding work etc. What worries us is whether a letting agent/landlord will allow us to lease a property if we haven't yet found jobs - I know in the UK they want to see proof of your earnings etc before they give you the keys....help! Thanks :-)

Yes you can but it will be harder. You will need to show bank statements, etc showing that you have enough funds. We prepared a covering letter to go with our application explaining our situation, etc and also offered to pay 6 months rent up front. That did the trick and to be honest if you don't have jobs might be the only way to secure a rental.

I had a company for a while doing Relocations in and around Brisbane and the Gold Coast and as long as you have paperwork to show you have the funds to pay (a statement showing a healthy bank account) you shouldn't have a problem at all. The trick with agents is to provide more paperwork than they want, chuck what you can at them, so come prepared with copies already made or the info on a USB so you can print easily once here.

Id suggest you submitt with applications

- Covering letter stating who you are, that your new migrants to the country, hence lack of Australian paperwork, currently job seeking etc etc

- Copies of driving licence (uk or Aus)

- Copies of passports

- Copies of paid up utility bills

- Copy of Medicare card if you have it

- Rent receipts or mortgage statement from the uk (so they know you were a good payer)

- references, maybe an old landlord? or from a holiday let? or even personal references from friends/ old boss saying your of good character

If you can and do offer 3 months rent upfront, write this on your application form

It will near in impossible to secure a longer term let until your here and i would advise you book a holiday let for your first 3 weeks, until you can find,view and apply for a longer term let.

Hope this helps

Cal x

We have found it quite easy to rent! We looked at a number of properties, decided to up our budget by $50 a week and the difference was significant.

Found a place we liked, submitted the rental form, passport, drivers licence and a copy of our bank statement and offered 6 months rent up front.

We move in in Saturday. I think the 6 months rent offer was the sweetener.

We explained our situation to each estate agent, so they know our situation before we went to view.

So my husband and I will be looking for somewhere to rent in/around the Gold Coast in the very near future and we are wondering how difficult this will proove before we get jobs?

When we arrive we won't have anybody there to stay with and so will hopefully line up some rental viewings prior to arriving with the aim of moving in to one before finding work etc. What worries us is whether a letting agent/landlord will allow us to lease a property if we haven't yet found jobs - I know in the UK they want to see proof of your earnings etc before they give you the keys....help! Thanks :-)

Im about to find out how easy it is to get a rental on the GC. We move out in two weeks and only have a holiday let for two weeks. We intend to take bank statements, lots of ID and the estate agent photographs of the house we've just sold so they can read & see how clean it was. We've never rented before so don't have references.

We have found it quite easy to rent! We looked at a number of properties, decided to up our budget by $50 a week and the difference was significant.

Found a place we liked, submitted the rental form, passport, drivers licence and a copy of our bank statement and offered 6 months rent up front.

We move in in Saturday. I think the 6 months rent offer was the sweetener.

We explained our situation to each estate agent, so they know our situation before we went to view.

Well done. One less thing to worry about. That bodes well for us.

Being able to demonstrate you can pay is all that ultimately matters. If you are taking on a 12 month lease, show that you can cover 12 months of rent. I don't think agents will be too interested in queries for somebody who has not arrived yet wanting to set up appointments though, it isn't really how the Australian market works, by all means try, but don't get disheartened if you don't get many responses.

We are currently looking for a new rental on the Gold Coast. I have found that the viewing dates/ times have only been available a maximum of 1 week before the actual viewing date, I was actually only informed of a viewing date for one I saw today, yesterday, they also tend to be open house affairs. Also that many places advertised on Real Estate. Com etc are no longer available, but are still on there as they have applications in progress.

I would go for a holiday let as others have said, you'll have so much to do and think about in the week before you go, then you can throw yourself into it when you arrive.

Good luck with your move.

I had a company for a while doing Relocations in and around Brisbane and the Gold Coast and as long as you have paperwork to show you have the funds to pay (a statement showing a healthy bank account) you shouldn't have a problem at all. The trick with agents is to provide more paperwork than they want, chuck what you can at them, so come prepared with copies already made or the info on a USB so you can print easily once here.

Id suggest you submitt with applications

- Covering letter stating who you are, that your new migrants to the country, hence lack of Australian paperwork, currently job seeking etc etc

- Copies of driving licence (uk or Aus)

- Copies of passports

- Copies of paid up utility bills

- Copy of Medicare card if you have it

- Rent receipts or mortgage statement from the uk (so they know you were a good payer)

- references, maybe an old landlord? or from a holiday let? or even personal references from friends/ old boss saying your of good character

If you can and do offer 3 months rent upfront, write this on your application form

How many references will suffice? Will my current landlord, whom I have been with for 15 years be a good enough referee? Also, when showing bank statements, does it matter if you have occasionally gone into an agreed overdraft?

Thanks in advance

It will near in impossible to secure a longer term let until your here and i would advise you book a holiday let for your first 3 weeks, until you can find,view and apply for a longer term let.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Your current landlord will be fine, get him to state the property was kept in good condition and you paid rent on time, that's all the agent is really interested in.

As for agreed overdrafts , it shouldnt be a problem as long as the current balance shown is 'healthy' enough to pay your rent until you secure work.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Your current landlord will be fine, get him to state the property was kept in good condition and you paid rent on time, that's all the agent is really interested in.

As for agreed overdrafts , it shouldnt be a problem as long as the current balance shown is 'healthy' enough to pay your rent until you secure work.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Thank you cal. I'll get my landlord to supply me with the reference. Would you open an Oz account from the UK? I looked at the banking thread and many said westpac was good, which would you recommend? Did you do it from the UK?

Mary.

Archived