Recommendations for parks around South East Vic area...

RachelGreep

I am looking for more what you would call a "park" in UK terms. When I ask about parks I tend to get pointed to play parks for the kids or recreation grounds for footie, cricket. I am not sure what to ask - somewhere like the Royal Botanical Gardens in the city but it is just such a PITA to go to the CBD on the weekends down the *@!!ing Monash.

We are in South East suburbs and stumbled upon the National Rhododendron Gardens in Olinda which were exactly what we wanted. Beautiful park type place with a walking track that we can take the pram while still getting to go for a walk through beautiful scenery.

I know there are loads of walking tracks down where we are but it's not the bush walk kind of tracks. They are much easier to find and we've walked loads but a nice, pretty, pram friendly park type place. Oh, we have also been to Australian Garden in Cranbourne lots too and it is stunning but we want to find some new places.

Have you tried Lysterfield lake park, good long walk around the lake, we've seen a few wallabies grazing around it. Also Jells park or anywhere along the Dandenong creek trail but watch out for the cyclists or even the gardiners creek trail that runs along the side of the Monash at points.

George Pentland Gardens at the back of Frankston Hospital is a nice park. Used to take my daughter in there when she was a patient at the hospital when she was young.

Parks like Botanical Gardens are really thin on the ground as they are hard to maintain in the climate here. Summer especially.

Bike paths are the usual for most mums and dads these days if they want to have a walk.

Fitzroy Gardens is ok. Edinburgh Gardens. These are in the city though.

Beautiful park type place with a walking track that we can take the pram while still getting to go for a walk through beautiful scenery

Try the Coolart Wetlands and Homestead on the eastern side of the Mornington Peninsula. Very nice place, with decent walking tracks through formal gardens, wetlands and woodland scenery.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies. Really loved Lysterfield lake but didn't realise just how big it was! Saw a lot of wildlife and the bbq's smelled amazing. Jells Park is lovely too. Can get quite busy but I suppose that is to be expected due to where it is situated. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try out the others too.

• 2 weeks later...

Lilydale Lake- half hour walk round the lake and a boardwalk with lots of birds. Westerfolds Park goes right up to the city from Manningham next to the Yarra. Jells Park Glen Waverley. Warrandyte State Park. Loads of them. Try 1st Sat of the month along the towpath at Warrandyte for a great market- Stiggarts Reserve, get a good walk at the same time.

Archived