any nurses out there

Guest Julie

Hi I'm Jules just starting the process for immigration what a nightmare. I want to move to Brisbane with my husband and two children in the near future and would appreaciate any advice regarding the best visa option.

I have also taken a career break of two years and wouldlike to know whether this would affect my applicaton or not. cheers Jules x :lol:

Hi Julie,

I'm a nurse too. Are you on a career break currently? My friend had to apply via the sponsorship route because she had been on Mat Leave and therefore hadn't been working for the required number of years (I'm not sure what that minimum limit is but I think it's something like 12 out of last 18 months), so if you're on a career break now, it may affect which visa type you apply for (but I'm not absolutley certain as I didn't go down this route).

The other thing with a career break is to check your policy at work - I had considered this but the policy at our hospital has clauses regarding paid employement unless it is to further your skills and development (which I would have argued that I was going to do).

The first thing you need to do (if you havn't already done it) is to apply to the ANMC to have your skills assessed. You have to do this befor applying for a visa if you want to go on your skills. The forms were easy enough to fill in, but I had to wait ages for my manager to get round to producing a reference for me. They have a website and everything you need to know is on there. Unlike the UK the ANMC doesn't hold the central register and you have to register with whicheve state you want to work in (if you move to another state you'd have to re-register)

Hope this helps

Ali

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Jules

where do you want to live and work.

If WA, let me know, I have contacts here who are looking for nurses, and there are a number of routes you can follow.

Kind regards

Guest Brissiebound

Hi Julie,

Before you do anything apply for registration in NSW (yes NSW!) we received this advice for my wife who has just returned to nursing also by the way. The reason is that QLD are INCREDIBLY slow at processing. NSW are about a month quicker at least. Once you are registered in NSW you can just apply for mutual recognition to practice in QLD (a very straightforward process). Once you are registered then apply for the modified skills assessment from ANMC as this is MUCH cheaper and far more straightforward. Seems a bit Irish but believe me it is well worth going this route from our very recent experience.

If you need to know anything else about the effect of lack of recent experience, hospitals in Brisbance etc let me know.

Steve

Thanks to all your replys. Phil I want to live and work in Brisbane do you have any contacts there? and what are my possible routes

Hi Steve,

thanks for the info but still a bit confused. is this right? i dont need an assessment for the anmc prior to registration with NSW. If i was to take the suggested route would this entitle me to a permanent residency visa?? If you don't mind me asking how long did it take for you to obtain your visa??

I am currently on a 2 year career break but still currenly registed with nmc. Did your wife have to do a return to nursing course in oz or do you have any info on this subject?

thanks for your help

cheers Jules x

Guest Brissiebound
Hi Steve,

thanks for the info but still a bit confused. is this right? i dont need an assessment for the anmc prior to registration with NSW. If i was to take the suggested route would this entitle me to a permanent residency visa?? If you don't mind me asking how long did it take for you to obtain your visa??

I am currently on a 2 year career break but still currenly registed with nmc. Did your wife have to do a return to nursing course in oz or do you have any info on this subject?

thanks for your help

cheers Jules x

Hi Jules,

Basically the steps you should take are:

1) apply for registration in NSW http://www.nmb.nsw.gov.au/ then at the same time

2) apply for registration in QLD http://www.qnc.qld.gov.au/home/index.aspx

2) once registration is through from NSW (which will be much quicker than QLD I promise you) THEN apply for the MODIFIED skills assesment to ANMC using Form A http://www.anmc.org.au/docs/Modified_Form_A_0607.pdf

The modified skills assement (Form A) costs $185 and the full assement costs $630!!!

3) In the meantime contact some hospitals directly and go through the interview process (you should get loads!) for contact details look at http://www.health.qld.gov.au

You don't need a assessment from anmc for registration you just need the nmc to forward details of your UK registration (they will forward to two nursing bodies at the same time for the same price, so request confirmation of your registration be sent to both NSW and QLD) and you will also need a couple of references.

Given that you have had a two year career break you will lose points assuming you have not started work again recently. You will still get the full 60 points for the occupation but will not be able to claim for recent work experience (12 of last 18 mths before application). It all depends on your age and so on, so do check yourself against the points test at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/136/eligibility-applicant.htm and see if you have enough points. If you don't have enough points don't worry. If you have a job offer from a hospital, which I am sure you will, you will get extra points for the job offer. If this still leaves you short you could go out on a 457 visa which is an employer sponsored visa giving you and spouse full working rights for up to 4 years (this only took a couple of months to sort for us). We were told by hospitals that once there and working they would then consider the employer nomination route (this would lead to full residency). They don't like to do this from the outset though so be aware of that. They prefer sponsoring on the 457 initially.

Our position is that we are going out on the hospital sponsored route (457) but we have submitted a Skilled Independent 136 application also (my wife did a return to nursing course after a near 10 year break and returned to practice in August 2005 and turned 45 in September 2006, so we had to get our application in after Aug 2006 but before her 45th birthday!).

To answer your question of time, we made the decision in February this year and have the 457 in place for nearly 2 months now and are just waiting for house to sell at the moment and then we (and the three kids) are offskie! You should reasonably expect the 457 route to take 4 months all told from you applying for registration but it will probably take a bit longer and, to be honest, once you get far in to the process it becomes less urget. In saying that we are absolutely champing at the bit to be off, so if you know of anyone who wants a beautiful house in Ayrshire............?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to give me all that info, it is very useful and easy to follow and I had no idea that you could apply on those types of visas.

We are considering applying under my husband as well as he is currently employed and may be entitled to a permanent residency visa. We are looking at all options.

We have wanted go to oz for years now but due to my husbands career we have put that dream on hold but his time is nearly up and we are panicing we won't get a visa. We are currently living in Germany and have no desire to go back to the uk!!

Where are you looking at settling, we have considered cleveland, thornlands or close by.

Thanks again, Jules xx

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to give me all that info, it is very useful and easy to follow and I had no idea that you could apply on those types of visas.

We are considering applying under my husband as well as he is currently employed and may be entitled to a permanent residency visa. We are looking at all options.

We have wanted go to oz for years now but due to my husbands career we have put that dream on hold but his time is nearly up and we are panicing we won't get a visa. We are currently living in Germany and have no desire to go back to the uk!!

Where are you looking at settling, we have considered cleveland, thornlands or close by.

Thanks again, Jules xx :)

Guest Brissiebound

Hi Jules,

To be honest if your husband has a skill in demand also and you are both under 45 then you should walk it! As for the suburbs, we keep looking west, Brookfield, Kenmore Hills etc but to be honest I am sure we will end up somewhere entirely different. Having spent months looking at the property websites have now stopped as I know we now need to be there and get the feel of the place. We are going to take an initial 8 week rental in fully furnished accomodation (if space available) through a company called Brisbane Bound http://www.brisbanebound.com/ We will then take the opportunity to look everywhere before deciding on an area then take a 12mth rental to ensure that is where we want to be before buying. We have three young kids so would really like the place where we take the 12mth rental to be the place we end up buying to lessen the disruption. Best of luck Jules and let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Steve

Archived