visa 189 Questions

Dan Cuth

Hey all,Im currently on a 457 visa and the company is taking the biscuit. Ive being in australia for 3 year in october, and on a 457 for a year. My trade is now on the skilled shortage list. The job I'm doing now isn't my trade but is obviously similar. Now couple of questions are basically where do i go from here.- Do u have to have a skills assessment first then lodge for a visa and wait for a case offer ?- Can you apply for a 189 on a 457 and be in australia?I have 70 points according to 2 websites where you put in your information etc.

Yes one of the first things you need to do before you can start the 189 process is get a skills assessment. Your occupation needs to be on the SOL for a 189 visa, rather than the CSOL, is this the case?

Working in something similar but not the same can be problematic, as definition of similar can vary. Also points of 70 seems pretty high for a trades occupation (lower qualification points generally) and working in a similar trade? Are you 100pc sure on that.

My trade is a HVAC Pipefitter / Plumber. Somy qualifications are in this and a NVQ level 1 2 and 3.

In with this i have Key skills level 1 2 3. So i think this would guarantee a better score for english and get more points, I am from the UK too which i know doesn't mean much reading the points system.

The job I'm doing now i have being doing on a 457 etc so i would say they would have to regard it as relevant or they wouldn't be able to match my trade up to it and put me on a 457 for it ?

the job I have is testing and commissioning pipe work.

another question is if i fail the skills test would that effect my 457?

Or can i put it through a immigration agent and hope for the best

Aw and yes my trade is on the skills shortage list as a level 3 which i don't really understand what that means

Don't know what that means either. There are two lists, one called the SOL and one called the CSOL, your occupation just needs to be on one of the lists. If there is something called levels, it is not relevant for what we are looking at.

My trade is a HVAC Pipefitter / Plumber. Somy qualifications are in this and a NVQ level 1 2 and 3.

In with this i have Key skills level 1 2 3. So i think this would guarantee a better score for english and get more points, I am from the UK too which i know doesn't mean much reading the points system.

The job I'm doing now i have being doing on a 457 etc so i would say they would have to regard it as relevant or they wouldn't be able to match my trade up to it and put me on a 457 for it ?

the job I have is testing and commissioning pipe work.

another question is if i fail the skills test would that effect my 457?

Or can i put it through a immigration agent and hope for the best

If you have NVQ3 qualifications as a plumber, you should get 10 points for your qualifications but that has nothing to do with points for English. the only way you can get points for English is by doing IELTS and scoring at least all 7s (10 points) or at least all 8s (20 points). Many native English speakers have trouble scoring all 8s though it's manageable with lots of practice and (often) several re-sits of the test.

If you nominate Plumber as your occupation, you will only be able to claim work experience points for work in a 'closely related' occupation. What constitutes 'closely related' is clearly defined and only includes the occupations in the same ANZSCO Unit Group i.e. 334111 Plumber (General), 334112 Airconditioning and Mechanical Services Plumber, 334113 Drainer (Aus) / Drainlayer (NZ), 334114 Gasfitter or 334115 Roof Plumber. You'd need to be very sure indeed that the work you've been doing on your 457 comes under one of those headings before you claim points for it.

If you fail skills assessment, it won't have any effect on your 457 - DIBP won't even know that you've failed it.

"Or can i put it through a immigration agent and hope for the best". An agent can't get a visa for you (or a positive skills assessment) if you don't meet the requirements. You seem to me to have some misunderstanding of the requirements and you would be well advised to consult a good MARA registered RMA (not just some crowd you find on the internet with a points score questionnaire) before you go any further. Try Go Matilda (Alan Collett), wrussell, Raul Senise (ABA), all of whom are regular posters on PIO) - they all know their stuff and won't give you a bum steer.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

i have a 189 question....

At the point where I lodge my application for 189 visa, my partner being added also as de facto.

I am asked to provide information in the education section for both asking for secondary and higher level education. Does this mean I have to add all of my GCSEs and ALevels? Has anyone done this, what 'Category' would these qualifications come under? Im guessing 'other' to be on the safe side...

Cheers :)

Archived