Skilled Independent 189 - Civil/Geotechnical Engineer skilled assessment

Riesta Sutanto

Hi Riesta,

1) Yes it's not mandatory to have your experience assessed by Engineers Australia to claim it, however all experience must be full-time, paid, relevant to the nominated occupation and at the required skill level.

2) If you apply through the Washington Accord process Engineers Australia will define your occupation which is more often than not, whatever is listed on your degree (Civil Engineer). If you wanted to be assessed in a different occupation you would need to apply through the Competency Demonstration Report process instead.

I would check the ANZSCO defined tasks and duties for each occupation, you have the potential scenario where EA give you the skills assessment as a Civil Engineer but you can't claim points for experience because it's not considered relevant to that occupation.

One thing I will add is that geotech and civil are regarded very differently here and at the moment there isn't a lot of call for geotechs - lots unemployed due to the down turn in mining. Though, I have to say I am coming across an increasing number of unemployed civils as well

One thing I will add is that geotech and civil are regarded very differently here and at the moment there isn't a lot of call for geotechs - lots unemployed due to the down turn in mining. Though, I have to say I am coming across an increasing number of unemployed civils as well

so very stormy where so u think a civil engineer with construction experience and meds and pcc cleared would plan to shift in aus??

Hi Riesta,

1) Yes it's not mandatory to have your experience assessed by Engineers Australia to claim it, however all experience must be full-time, paid, relevant to the nominated occupation and at the required skill level.

2) If you apply through the Washington Accord process Engineers Australia will define your occupation which is more often than not, whatever is listed on your degree (Civil Engineer). If you wanted to be assessed in a different occupation you would need to apply through the Competency Demonstration Report process instead.

I would check the ANZSCO defined tasks and duties for each occupation, you have the potential scenario where EA give you the skills assessment as a Civil Engineer but you can't claim points for experience because it's not considered relevant to that occupation.

so ADAM Grey which state do you suggest for a 10 year experienced civil engineer with meds and pcc submitted on june 2014.your suggestion would be of great help

so very stormy where so u think a civil engineer with construction experience and meds and pcc cleared would plan to shift in aus??

I don't have an answer for that as I think it is one of the occupations that (like mine) is going to struggle for a while. I don't think moving state is the answer. I think you might need to look further afield. Hence I am now looking international.

Go wherever you want to go, wherever you want to live. Availability of work is obviously an important factor but not the only one to be considered.

Echoing VS, that particular industry is experiencing a low right now but these things happen in cycles and it will pick up again. Word from recruitment companies is that a lot of the temporary/permanent engineering migrants have simply hung about after their projects finished, so there's a lot of skilled workers currently in Aus and no need to look outside the country.

We employ civils and geotechs, there is currently about zero market - I know people who have been unemployed for two years, intermediate to high levels who have been looking around for six months or more. Graduates are travelling to the UK and Canada seeking work.

I hate being negative, but the field usually demands you have local experience and in a climate of high unemployment where people with 5-10 years' local experience can't find a job you'll be having problems.

Of course, this all could change very rapidly particularly as large infrastructure projects in the pipeline come on, but hve somethine else up your sleeve if you are intent on moving in the timeframe given.

Thanks, I didn't know we could check the defined duties for each occupation in ANZCO website. so I've checked it and found that Civil Engineer and Geotechnical are aapparently in the same unit Group of occupation (2332).

I also found this information in DIAC website where they stated that

So I guess I still can claim my working exp points since they are both in the same unit group then?

I am quite surprised to hear from you guys just now that it is quite struggling for engineers to find jobs there because I have always heard 'the tales' that Australia always has a high demand of engineers. Or at least, that's what I heard.

Thanks anyway!

Yes that's correct you can claim closely related employment within the same unit group. The important factor is that the tasks and duties you performed relate to the ANZSCO description.

Re: employment prospects, these industries are always up and down. WA was the real driving force a few years back and the state was booming. Then the demand fell out of the mining industry and it had a knock on effect....Less development, less need for Civil Engineers. NT seems to be picking up rapidly in all areas and like mentioned above it only takes a few large scale development projects and things start picking up. Overall employment in Australia ranks well against comparable countries, but never expect an easy ride.

• 3 months later...

Hi Riesta, I agree with what Adam Grey answered for your 1st question. It’s not mandatory to have your experience assessed by Engineers Australia, you can still claim the points for visa application. And for the 2nd question you asked, I think choosing geotechnical engineering will be good for you. You have experience in that field though what you have completed is Civil engineering. I also have a Civil engg bachelor degree and I’m trying for a job in DST Consulting ( https://www.dstgroup.com/services/geotechnical-engineering/ ) in Ontario. Anyway, I wish you all the best. Have great days in Australia.

Archived