Areas in Sydney with easy access to UTS

DianaK

We are moving to Sydney around Christmas and I was wondering if you can reccomend any particular areas with easy access to the University of Technology. I can see on the map that it is pretty central but finding a rental at reasonable price at this time of the year is quite challenging and we have no idea about the commute times, if we are to consider searching further out of the central part.

I think that uts is near to central station, so commuting by train would probably be your best bet. If you have a look here http://www.sydneytrains.info/stations/network_map you should be able to see the locations that are doable. We are in sutherland shire, which is a nice area, it takes about 40 mins to Central from here. It depends a bit on what sort of area you are after too. We like this area because it is well suited to families, but it might not suit a couple in their twenties, just as a more central area wouldn't suit us.

Thank you, LKC :)

I will have a closer look at the areas close to the train stations then. Knowing that it is 40 min from Central to Sutherland gives me an idea of the commute time if I would like to check other lines within similar distance.

I just spent about thirty minutes typing out a response, thinking about your options, as I did so, and for some reason, I lost the bloody lot!

I'll have to do a shortened version! I live in Surry Hills, 10-15 minutes walk to UTS, and it is an 'inner city suburb' one of a few you could look at with a similar walk to UTS - Glebe, Pyrmont, Ultimo, and Sydney City itself. I like having all the facilities I need within walking distance, cafes, pubs, shops, buses at my door, 5 minutes walk to Central Railway. The homes are mostly units - appartments, or terrace houses, so you don't have much of a garden, but I have an excellent park just down the road - Prince Alfred Park, with a swimming pool, basketball and tennis courts, children's play areas.

If you want a house with a garden, then you have to move further out from the City. Sydney has a sort of inner and outer ring of suburbs where the homes change from 19th century to 20th (and 21st) century, with bigger gardens, but also longer commuting times, and often more time to spend getting from home to station or bus stop.

It depends on what you want, what you can afford, what kind of lifestyle you want, how much time you want to spend commuting, whether your social life is going to revolve around the university itself or not. UTS has good transport facilities, with plenty of buses outside the door, and Central Railway 5 minutes away. If you need to go to the uni in the evenings, there are still plenty of buses and trains, but out in the suburbs, it might be harder to get home from the station if the bus services stop.

Have a look on www.domain.com.au to look at the various types of homes you could get, and whether it is in your budget.

Thank you for your reply, Maryrose02!

We have to also look for a pet friendly accomodation as our two cats will be out of the quarantine facility couple of days after we arrive. I am almost sure that it makes finding accomodation even more difficult, especially an apartment. I am thinking of getting in touch with a real estate agency that deals with renlals and may be trying to secure 6 months lease if we pre-pay for the whole period, but I am still to find out how realistic is this option.

You can search for properties which allow pets. WWW.domain.com.au seems to have changed because there used to be a way of specifying what you want in your search - pets allowed, furnished, etc. I put 'cats allowed' or 'cats permitted' in keywords.

Home

Rental Properties

NSW

Sydney Region

Surry Hills

9 NORTON STREET SURRY HILLS

9 NORTON STREET SURRY HILLS151.213409-33.885431

9 NORTON STREET SURRY HILLSSURRY HILLSNSW2010AU

Terrace For Rent

[h=1][/h]Terrace For Rent

9 NORTON STREET SURRY HILLS

GEO: -33.885431, 151.213409

Aimee RyanCarrington Group

Cosy 2 bedroom terrace situated in great location.The terrace features 2 good size bedrooms-both with balconies, combined lounge and dining, kitchen with dishwasher & rear courtyard. Only moments away from all amenities. 52690521pio23121132

13/08/2014

13/08/2015

$650.00

WELL MAINTAINED 2 BEDROOM TERRACE IN SURRY HILLS

Main content:

[h=3]Results navigation[/h]

banner_48.GIF

[h=1]9 NORTON STREET SURRY HILLS[/h]AddRemove

[h=2]Property Summary[/h] Features: 2 beds, 1 bath

[h=2]Property Summary[/h] Price: $650.00 Available from: Now Property type: Terrace Suburb: SURRY HILLS (profile) Region: Sydney Region

<a id="Content_Content_propertySummary_propertyTools_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="btn sml" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=5269052&mode=Rent">Email the agent</a> Email the agent

[h=1]Ignore this listing[/h]rotating_blu.gifLogin to ignore properties you don't like. If you're not a Fairfax Media member, sign up for free.

Properties will display with a grey shadow to make it easier to skip past and you won't receive

home alert updates for these properties.

Enter your Domain, or Fairfax Media account login and password

Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again.

rotating_blu.gifCancel

52690521pio23121132

[h=3]Other Views[/h]

• 52690522pite23121133
  • 52690523pite23121134
  • 52690524pite23121134

[h=3]Your Notes[/h]Can`t save now, please try again laterAdd/Edit

[h=2]Property Details[/h]

WELL MAINTAINED 2 BEDROOM TERRACE IN SURRY HILLS

Cosy 2 bedroom terrace situated in great location.The terrace features 2 good size bedrooms-both with balconies, combined lounge and dining, kitchen with dishwasher & rear courtyard. Only moments away from all amenities. [h=3]Features[/h]

• Close to Shops
  • Close to Transport
  • Internal Laundry
  • Pets Allowed
  • Balcony

[h=3]Open for inspection times[/h]

Display address:Project address:

• Sat 16 Aug 2014 11:00 AM to 11:15 AM

• <a id="Content_Content_Inspection_BookInspectLinkNoScript" class="dialogEnquiry" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=5269052&mode=Rent"></a> Make an appointment

$650 per week, I think I missed out the rent when I copied it over. (I need to buy some more internet access as I'm 100 per cent for this month with 'Dodo' my supplier)

I searched in 'Surry Hills' and surround areas. I can't think where Norton St either which irritates me as I thought i knew Surry Hills. I keep thinking of 'Norton St' in Leichhardt, which is much better known - not a bad place to look for you too, aka 'Little Italy.'