Moving to Melbourne after two years of trying

John Taggart

Hi All

After being told by a variety of agents, PIO users and various others that we had no chance of getting to Oz we are finally flying in to Melbourne on 19 August to start work with my new employer who has kindly sponsored me on a 457 for 4 years. Like to say thanks to all those who had advised and supported us in our endeavours and to get the message out that if you try had enough there always a route for you.

Now looking for any advice you guys can give us to avoid any common pitfalls that we may encounter with our move and any other advice would be gratefully received.

Oh and a big shout out to Go Matilda for helping us navigate through the process. Thank you!!

Cheers John and Gill:wink:

Looking back, I think people just pointed out that it would be hard and as it took two years I guess it was. You must be 46 or 47 now, it becomes a lot harder to get PR after age 50 so get onto that before you do. Hopefully you will take that as the good advice it is intended to be and not somebody throwing cold water over you.

Don't even consider the big houses in the outer brubs if you are going to be working in the CBD. Take the hit on the mental rents in the inner burbs and enjoy it..... Outer burbs of Melb as a commuter are utter gash.

Develop a liking for 'cafe culture'....

Don't expect to be invited out to the pub with workmates, and if you are - expect to pay 6 quid a pint.

Prepare yourself for the driving - just think southern europe but far, far more hostile..... It's basically like entering a war zone.

Well done. I would highly recommend looking into PR as soon as you can. Having been on a 457 visa myself there are times when the temporary nature of it made me feel pretty insecure. I hope you have a great employer and the move goes really well for you and your family. There are so many wonderful things about Australia - well done for persevering.

Enjoy Melbourne - nurture a love of coffee and AFL and you will be at home here :)

Archived