RSMS 187 or 186 facts please

Caz Brady

Hi

We have a state sponsored 489 but there is a possibility that my DH could get sponsored which while very dependent on the employer must be a better option as it's PR and he has no restrictions on where he works?

So any facts or info on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Well the 187 is also regional, so it would restrict where you work. Further it can be cancelled if you do not make every effort to stay with the employer for two years. So it certainly is restrictive. The 186 is less restrictive than the 187. But I would strongly recommend against applying for either of these visas and immediately leaving the sponsoring employer (if that is what you mean by having no restrictions).

It says on skillselect that all of WA is regional I thought it didn't have the same restrictions of postcodes like our 489 they're not mentioned at all in the info for the 187? That's what I meant by restrictions the areas to live and work.

He should be fine working for the same person for 2 years as long as they're professional and run things properly he'll be happy enough to just get on with his job! He wouldn't take the sponsorship if he thought they were dodgy in any way at all or if he thought he couldn't get along with them.

I'm not sure which they're offering he's meeting them tomorrow. My thinking was that the PR would be a better option to what we have now, at least I'd be able to work as well on PR with the 489 We wouldn't be able to afford childcare without the rebate!

It says on skillselect that all of WA is regional I thought it didn't have the same restrictions of postcodes like our 489 they're not mentioned at all in the info for the 187? That's what I meant by restrictions the areas to live and work.

He should be fine working for the same person for 2 years as long as they're professional and run things properly he'll be happy enough to just get on with his job! He wouldn't take the sponsorship if he thought they were dodgy in any way at all or if he thought he couldn't get along with them.

I'm not sure which they're offering he's meeting them tomorrow. My thinking was that the PR would be a better option to what we have now, at least I'd be able to work as well on PR with the 489 We wouldn't be able to afford childcare without the rebate!

So you are asking for comments but apparently you already have the answers ...

But the 187 is definitely a regional visa. Hint: there is a clue in the name.

So you are asking for comments but apparently you already have the answers ...

But the 187 is definitely a regional visa. Hint: there is a clue in the name.

I'm aware that it's a regional visa but the 489 family sponsored is also regional but allows work throughout any part of regional Australia unlike the state sponsored which has restricted postcodes in WA but they're both regional! I was wondering if it has restricted postcodes as I can't find them mentioned on skillselect.

I don't know all the answers that's why I'm looking for peoples opinion on the 489 vs the 186/187 (if it becomes a possibility)

Basically is PR always better than Provisional? Is the biggest draw back being dependent on your employer fulfilling their end of the 2 year commitment? Any pitfalls or advantages, just information like I said in my origional post!

No not just that if there aren't the same restrictions on locations to live and work it obviously means that himself has more places that he can work - he's a tiler so obviously an advantage to have more scope for places to work! I know it's expensive but we got our 489 in before the massive price rise so at least we wouldn't have paid it twice! And is it worth it for PR? I won't know anything definite until DH meets them tomorrow just wanted to get a better idea in my head about it if they do offer it to him.

The 187 you are tied to working at the one specified work place for two years. You can't move around.

Unless it's a pretty big company then a tiling company may struggle to fit the sponsorship criteria. I'd be getting a migration agent to have a look over your case if they haven't sponsored before.

The 187 you are tied to working at the one specified work place for two years. You can't move around.

Unless it's a pretty big company then a tiling company may struggle to fit the sponsorship criteria. I'd be getting a migration agent to have a look over your case if they haven't sponsored before.

Ah right! So they're prob gonna offer 186 if anything at all thanks blossom

Archived