Things to do in UK before you leave

Guest Mel.R

Guest EmmaC
I know! When we were younger and lived in Germany, we used to have our holidays in the UK, and it was really exciting landing in Manchester to see my family. Wonder if it will have the same effect nearly twenty years later?

Jo x

Ah I bet it will.

There will be a certain excitement at showing your children where you spent so many years.

My Mum used to take me to a twisted old tree in Ireland where her and her friends used to play. I still love going there...It's a twisted old tree for goodness sake!!

E x

Guest TeamTalbot

For anyone considering Lego land before they leave for Australia - I can definitely recommend it. It's a bit pricey, but if you go on a dry day your kids will LOVE it!

I can also recommend Scotland. I've lived here for 5 years and can honestly say it's so much nicer than England. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and the Scots are lovely friendly people.

I would love to go to Paris before leaving the UK. Without the kids.

But really I just can't wait to get to Oz.

Paris - the land of love

Visted & stayed a few nights just before christmas (flew home late christmas eve) was so amazing, the lights, the atmosphere, the river cruise, moulin rouge, Eiffel tower, had a fantastic time - if you can get there go its great espec at christmas

Guest Les & Woz
Hi from Fife (across the water from Edinburgh). Lived in Edinburgh my whole life till 5 months ago, so if you need any info, ask away.

Pauline (ben, better half of billnben)

x

Hi There !

Any recommendations for a reasonable price hotel in good location?

Les:cool:

Guest gary12

JO

We went to Euro Disney last year just so that our son (4yrs) could go on the Lightning Mcqueen ride. I was so dissapointed with it. It was a really long queue of over an hour to get on and at the end of it, it was about a 45 second ride on my worse nightmare, the waltzers, I hate em! He loved it though!

Guess I was seeing it through the eyes of an adult and not the glorious eyes of an excited child! Oh to be young.

This post has got me making a massive list now.

Michelle

Guest Weemac
My o/h and I have started to think about things we would like to do with our kids before we head off to oz. we have started with:

Go to Cadbury world

Take boys to a West Ham match

Go to Wembley

Super bikes at Brands Hatch (went years ago - great fun)

I'm still thinking of what else....brains gone completely dead now!!!!

Just thought it would be good to see what other people would like to do before they go.......

Hi Mel,

Just to say thanks for planting the seed of thought about things to do....It kick started me into action....and completed the first of many today...took my 4 year old daughter to watch Gloucester at Kingsholm where they won against Sarries....had to put up with "Glawwwster" from the back seat of the car all the way home..Loved it!!!!

Now....what's next??

Brilliant thread to start, thanks again,

Mac & Emily

(oh..and Phet the wife..she got an afternoon shopping in Gloucester so she is happy too).

Guest Allsopps3

Hi. We thought of this a couple of months ago and went to the Tower of London last week and Paris for three days this week - taking our 8yr old son to the top of the Eiffel Tower was at the top of our to do list! Paris was really lovely.

We've also got Buckingham Palace, Legoland (again!), Amsterdam, Stockholm and York for one last Fat Rascal from Betty's Tearooms before we go! We're also going to Samos for a week in July as we've had many great holidays there and want to go one last time.

The list could be endless...

Tracey:smile:

Guest Mel.R
Hi Mel,

Just to say thanks for planting the seed of thought about things to do....It kick started me into action....and completed the first of many today...took my 4 year old daughter to watch Gloucester at Kingsholm where they won against Sarries....had to put up with "Glawwwster" from the back seat of the car all the way home..Loved it!!!!

Now....what's next??

Brilliant thread to start, thanks again,

quote]

I'm so pleased everyone is putting their ideas on. I am also now going to do the Coronation Street tour and a girls outing to have tea at the Ritz!!!

Guest gary12
For anyone considering Lego land before they leave for Australia - I can definitely recommend it. It's a bit pricey, but if you go on a dry day your kids will LOVE it!

We plan to go to Legoland too. The best deals seem to be if you stay overnight with a 2 day pass. Might as well make a full weekend of it.

Michelle

Guest Abi&Dan

Just Rome and London again - you never run out of things to do - for us. Mainly just itching to get to Oz though!:chatterbox:

Guest bernie

Hi it's funny we have thought that too and now thinking about all those european cities etc, that we never bothered to visit! We are taking the kids to a beautiful loch in Scotland this summer and thought it would be great for them to see the mountains in this country as I have done as a kid. Would have liked to take them to Cornwall but don't think we'll have time, and finally will probably to a few day trips to London see the sights. Don't think we'll see it all though, shame.

Guest ashmalog

I asked my 2 eldest boys to make a wish list of things they want to do before we go and they came up with:

go to euro disney

watch liverpool play at anfield

alton towers

windsor castle

london sights - again!!! the list is growing so fast.

I must say cadbury's world was a let down, i took the boys and you didn't get to see the factory in operation, all you saw was someone taking some chocolate shoes out of the moulds!! oh and you got to write your name in chocolate. basically its just about buying their products.

Guest The Littles

My OH has lived in Oz for many years and feels that Europe is almost unreachable once you get settled into the Oz way of life. Particularly, due to the difference in exchange rates and air fare etc. So we took our girls (Amelia 5 and Ruby 4) to Paris at Easter to see the Eiffell Tower etc. They were pretty impressed and it's so quick/cheap to get there now with the Eurotunnel.

Also, I would say Disney World is just amazing for kids, whether it is Florida or Paris. There is nothing like this in Oz (at this point in time).

As for England - can't beat quality one to one time - but all the obviously British landmarks have to be done! Buckingham Palace, No 10, London Eye - What about Stone Henge? Although I read that they are building one is Australia?!?

What about joining English Heritage or National Trust and touring around all the great historical sites - they have family days for the kids, such as joisting or mock battles. Check out the websites.

Whatever you do... Enjoy!

Gaynor x

Guest Allsopps3
MONKEY WORLD!!!!!?????? In Devon........................That's what my Girls want to do..........Why?...............I don't know...............I do really! I LOVE Monkeys...........sad or what lol!

That's a good one! We loved watching the tv series about it. You could do the Eden centre while you're down that way. Where abouts in Norfolk are you? We're just outside Watton.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I must say cadbury's world was a let down, basically its just about buying their products.

:twitcy:BUT ITS CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! I`ll buy any product!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Mel.R
:twitcy:BUT ITS CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! I`ll buy any product!!!!:biglaugh:

I am soooooooooooo with you on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

That's a good one! We loved watching the tv series about it. You could do the Eden centre while you're down that way. Where abouts in Norfolk are you? We're just outside Watton.

Hi Tracey

We are in Fleggburgh..........on the edge of Filby Broad but classed as Flegg Village

Guest Allsopps3
Hi Tracey

We are in Fleggburgh..........on the edge of Filby Broad but classed as Flegg Village

It's lovely over there. Are you off soon?

My o/h and I have started to think about things we would like to do with our kids before we head off to oz. we have started with:

Go to Cadbury world

Take boys to a West Ham match

Go to Wembley

Super bikes at Brands Hatch (went years ago - great fun)

I'm still thinking of what else....brains gone completely dead now!!!!

Just thought it would be good to see what other people would like to do before they go.......

get yourselves to the nearest "GO APE" site (check it out on internet) best day ever but kids have to be 10 and certain height. just booked again to do a different one - oh and alton towers!

Guest billnben
Hi There !

Any recommendations for a reasonable price hotel in good location?

Les:cool:

Hi if you give me an idea of when you want to come to Edinburgh, it would help. An awful lot of places book up between May - September because of lots of tourists, plus the Edinburgh Festival takes place in August/Sept. You could probably get something outside the city centre which would be cheaper and you could either walk or get a bus, either way there is lots to see and do that isnt based around the actual centre.

Pauline

x

Archived