advise on shipping companies

the willows

Hi there, was wondering if someone out there could offer some advice.

We are looking to ship are stuff out to Oz and would like some recommendations on who is best to use based on service and cost.

We will need to ship the following;

Furniture

Motorbike

Cycles

Also if anyone has advice on the custom tax for importing motorbikes that would be great.

Thanks All

If you need some independent reviews to decide who to get your quotes from try the British Association of Removers reviews site http://www.trustedmover.org and look for members of the overseas moving group.

Let all 3 companies visit you to do an in home survey, show them all the same and make sure they have all the same information and then you can compare their quotes on price and the level of service they are proposing. When you compare price as calNgary said make sure you're quoting like for like - the volume, the transit time, cost of insurance and the the inclusions/exclusions of the door to door price etc.

Hope that helps?

I can tell you who not to use if you PM me! (can't say on open forum! Suffice to say, 16 weeks and counting, and Australia, the 'country they ship the most to' still hasn't seen our stuff! try explaining THAT to a 3 year old when they ask where their toys are! It was one of the more popular ones mentioned on here before too!

I can tell you who not to use if you PM me! (can't say on open forum! Suffice to say, 16 weeks and counting, and Australia, the 'country they ship the most to' still hasn't seen our stuff! try explaining THAT to a 3 year old when they ask where their toys are! It was one of the more popular ones mentioned on here before too!

Why cant you name and shame? Facts are facts and the bad guys (or ones we need to be wary off) need to be avoided. Surely they have only themselves to blame?

Why cant you name and shame? Facts are facts and the bad guys (or ones we need to be wary off) need to be avoided. Surely they have only themselves to blame?

We have rules regarding not allowing name and shames for legal reasons. We ask the membership respect this.

We have rules regarding not allowing name and shames for legal reasons. We ask the membership respect this.

What snifter said! Plus they still have my stuff! (well, I hope they do anyway!). Anyway, PM me if you would like to now which company I'd avoid!

Agree with pumpkin and CalNgary

We had three round two national companies and one local. The local company won. Not because they had the nicest salesman , they were also the cheapest, I was slightly unsure, due to the salesman, but because when I wanted to check details they were willing to answer all my questions in a knowledgable way, even if they were a bit silly , we went with them. Also having all three companies round gave us a wealth of information about what to pack and what not to. Silly details like get a new tube and filter for the Dyson etc, don't take wicker baskets.

We packed ourselves, which I would not recommend. We had a mad rush to pack everything and had a customs charge for including a box which had a dried leaf on it!!

I think it also helped that I had passed the companies depot on my train journey to work for the past 20 yrs seeing all the containers lined up in the yard. I sort of knew they'd be ok.

Guest The Pom Queen

Maybe if you saw the legal threats we get you would understand. We don't mind people saying "we used Smiths and wouldn't use them again" but most people will write "Smiths are a bunch of cowboys who stole my things and broke my xyz, don't use them" now the latter will end up with a defamation case being brought against the publisher (ourselves) and not the author.

One other thing on Cycles , someone on this forum suggested scrubbing them with Zooflora I think it was, and wrapping them in cling film. Which we did and we had no issues. Customs opened around 1/3 of our boxes. Assume because they were marked packed by owner. Luckily they didn't find the speedo in KMs we bought for our car prior to leaving which we also imported. We hid it on a box full of towels. !!

We've just sent our stuff today with Crown. Had 3 companies out and all quoted similar prices, so it came down to who we preferred and felt most confident with. You get good and bad stories about everyone!!

They came this morning - 3 guys and off they went packing and stacking. No complaints so far. Lets see what happens in 12 weeks when we're in Oz waiting for it :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move.com

We keep a performance record of all moves insured through us against number of claims subsequently reported and we can advise Excess International would be in the top 10 of best performing removers on this basis. Other removers in this category would include PSS International, Crown Relo, Anglo Pacific, Pickfords, UTS Pearson and John Mason Int amongst others.

These are not recommendations but simply a performance analysis.

Hope this assists in your decision making process.

Has anyone used the company called Excess International Movers for shipping there goods, if so any comments on the service? If anyone has any recommendations on shippers they have used would be appreciate your feedback as trying to decide who to entrust our goods to is not easy.

The British Association of Removers has their own independent reviews website with scores and feedback on many of their members in one place. Look for members of the overseas moving group for those meeting the international moving standards. Hope that helps?

We have been here 2 weeks now and awaiting our container. We had quotes from the big 3 companies and we went with Doree Bonner, all we can say from our experience is they were fantastic, the 2 x lads who came and packed our stuff did a sterling job, worked hard, were very polite and nothing was too much trouble. In addition to our house hold stuff we sent a 4 x push bikes, 1 x motorbike (off road one) and a load of tools and car spares. We cleaned everything we could with a scrubbing brush prior to them packing it. The car spares, some were a bit oily but that is fine apparently. Its out of Doree Bonners hands now and reliant on the people at this end who are called GRACE.

Will wait and see once it arrives next month........

The car we sent via Karman Shipping, chap called Richard. Again he was more than helpful, answering all our stupid questions and made the process very easy. Given a list of docs and certificates we had to get, got pics once loaded into the container......... waiting on that too

• 2 months later...

Archived