Adoption Queries

Gavilon18

Hi all,

First post so go easy please - hopefully this is in the correct sub-forum!

Currently going through an IVF cycle and looking to emigrate to Aus at the middle of 2016 (fingers crossed accountants remain on the SOL or at least the CSOL!).

If the IVF is unsuccesful then we ould be looking at adoption - either in the UK before emigrating or after landing in Aus, just wondering if anyone has had experiences of either and has any advice or things we should be looking out for in terms of potential pitfalls?

I guess my initial thoughts would be on whether we would be able to emigrate as soon as an adoption is finalised in the UK, or if we adopted in Australia whether we would need Australian references or if they can come from the UK?

Grateful for any shared experiences or advice.

Thanks, G

The last numbers of adoption in Australia that i read was something like at most 10 babies in the year. That was a few years ago though. Adoption is pretty rare these days in Australia. The U.K. is probably a better option. Goodluck.

I was in a similar position last year, and realised it would be much easier to adopt in the UK than in Australia, even as an Australian citizen. We were very lucky and the last chance saloon IVF worked in January! However, I am not sure how the UK authorities would react to you saying you plan to move immediately, as they can't assess your situation re family support etc when you move.

It was a real catch-22 for us. We have wonderful family and friends support in Australia, but nothing here - so we would probably not be assessed as suitable in the UK, but would be fine in Australia - yet they strongly discourage adoption there. I read there were about 70 adoptions in NSW a year, including inter-family adoptions, overseas adoptions and the odd local one. Plus there is a strong emphasis on maintaining a link with the birth parents.

One positive is that IVF seems much cheaper in Australia. With the medicare rebate it is a few thousand dollars, as opposed to £3-6k in the UK. We are bringing over some frozen embryos too in the hope we can use then at some stage.

Best of luck!

Archived