Vale, The Last Crew Member Of Enola Gay.

Bobj

I can understand the reasoning for dropping the bomb but being the person delivering it would take a heavy toll on anyone's conscience. The legacy of that one event has shaped the lives of baby boomers such as I and probably done more to prevent a global conflict in my lifetime than anything else.

My hat off to these guys without what they did many more lives would have been lost

Quotes from Oppenheimer

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

It worked! (after the Trinity test)

If atomic bombs are to be added as new weapons to the arsenals of a warring world, or to the arsenals of the nations preparing for war, then the time will come when mankind will curse the names of Los Alamos and Hiroshima. The people of this world must unite or they will perish

Guest Guest66881

Yeah the day took lives and many of them suffered after effects, but that said it saved millions more lives by being dropped.

Yeah the day took lives and many of them suffered after effects, but that said it saved millions more lives by being dropped.

Yes,it sure did....the first bomb (Little Boy) that exploded over Hiroshima was a gun type fission weapon that used U-235 as it's fissile material. There has been much written that the second bomb that was detonated over Nagasaki (Fat Man) was unnecessary as it was an implosion type Plutonium weapon and that the only reason it was dropped was to see which fissile material was the most effective.......it turned out Plutonium was.

Archived