Health visitors!!

• 2 months later...

My wife is triple certificate (or that's what they used to call it) SRN qualified Nurse, midwife and went back to study later to get her Health Visitor qualifications. Mostly the idea was to get off shift work after doing it for years. For her troubles she ended up in Moss Side Health centre.:no: Some of the places she had to go I wouldn't have gone. The police used to walk round in threes, that's when it wasn't a no go area.

When we came here she was obviously happy to get any job that was offered. We came without jobs, in 92, so in the middle of a recession here as well as one we left in the UK. She had been in touch with Royal Perth hospital before we got here and spoke to someone. They were pretty helpful but obviously couldn't promise her anything. She rang them after being here a week and they said come in for a chat. She came out of the interview an hour and a half later having been measured up for a uniform and started work the following week.

Back on shiftwork after spending so much time trying to get off it. Needs must though and it got us through for a few months. She made loads of enquiries about where her Health Visitor quals. could be applied and found a job with Child Development Services. It was a breath of fresh air after her experiences in Moss Side. She enjoyed the job, back off shift work again, Monday to Friday, 9-5 more or less, nice people to work with, nice environment and offices in a lovely place in West Perth. It was a bit of a different role from what she had been doing in the UK, I don't think there is a direct equivalent but her skills fitted well.

Archived