Getting Oz tax back when I leave

Pommy Mark

Hi guys

Ive just received my tax-back for 2013-2014.

My working holiday visa finishes in September and I will be leaving Oz then.

The tax I have been deducted from the cut-off date of this year until the date I leave, will I be able to claim as soon as I leave Australia or will I have to wait until next year?

Im guessing next year but thought it might be different as Im on a temporary visa?

Thanks for your reply.

Im slightly confused by your post though, does that mean you have never received a tax return?

For the past two years I have had quite healthy refunds once Ive completed my returns. Perhaps its the visa I'm not sure.

What Id like to know though is will I have to wait until next year to do my refund even though I will no longer be on a visa or in Australia?

Thanks for your reply.

Im slightly confused by your post though, does that mean you have never received a tax return?

For the past two years I have had quite healthy refunds once Ive completed my returns. Perhaps its the visa I'm not sure.

What Id like to know though is will I have to wait until next year to do my refund even though I will no longer be on a visa or in Australia?

No I have never had a tax refund. My company deducts my tax correctly during the year. I have only ever had a tax bill for income that is taxed at source. The PAYG system should operate to collect your tax accurately through the year, although obviously that is not always possible with changing circumstances. If I had received "healthy tax refunds" every year I would be wanting to know why my tax is not being calculated properly from the start and why the ATO is having the use of my money not me! I see nothing healthy about overpaying tax over the course of the year.

And will need to wait for somebody else to comment on timing sorry.

No I have never had a tax refund. My company deducts my tax correctly during the year. I have only ever had a tax bill for income that is taxed at source. The PAYG system should operate to collect your tax accurately through the year, although obviously that is not always possible with changing circumstances. If I had received "healthy tax refunds" every year I would be wanting to know why my tax is not being calculated properly from the start and why the ATO is having the use of my money not me! I see nothing healthy about overpaying tax over the course of the year.

And will need to wait for somebody else to comment on timing sorry.

thx pumpkin

tbh i quite quite like the tax refund, this year I got close to 4gs so I was pretty chuffed

I left on February and went through an agent and they put my tax return in on an early release form and I signed a form declaring that I would not be back in the country before the end of the tax year so that I wasn't able to do another tax return before the end of the year.

I don't know any form numbers if you are doing it yourself but yes you can submit one before you leave. Oh and mine was returned in 28 days :)

I left on February and went through an agent and they put my tax return in on an early release form and I signed a form declaring that I would not be back in the country before the end of the tax year so that I wasn't able to do another tax return before the end of the year.

I don't know any form numbers if you are doing it yourself but yes you can submit one before you leave. Oh and mine was returned in 28 days :)

Ah thankyou Lyndsey .

The only thing is I'll be back within the year, however, I will be on a different visa, does that make a difference?

I imagine it will affect your tax return as you will be on the same tax file number. Can't you just wait until you come back and then file at the end of next year?

yeh that's fine i just thought I might tie everything related to this visa then start a fresh on the next one.

thx

Thankyou Alan

Ive just been reading through the link and it does seem Ill be able to do it,however there is one part that is not clear.

As Ill be coming back on a new visa, (a month after this current one has expired) will I still be able to do this early return?

I would agree with Alan, if you're planning to return during the same tax year it would just complicate things to try to claim a rebate part way through the year, you may end up owing it back come July 2015. If you wait you'll only have to pay the tax agent once too. :)

Archived