Considering a move to Sydney

barnabus72

Hi all, our story so far :-

we we arrived in Brisbane last September on a 457 visa sponsored by my husbands company. Very settled now, bought our own house south east of Brisbane. My son who is ASD took a long time to settle into his new school, but is now just about happy and making friends.

fast forward 10.5 months and my husbands company has sold up, leaving us with a very uncertain future, and we now have to follow the work and an offer of PR sponsorship in Sydney.

at the moment we are one hours commute by train from Brisbane cbd in a suburb by the sea and we would like to replicate that. Don't mind being up to 1.5 hours commute if it gives us a quieter more affordable suburb. We are looking at Woy Woy, Umina beach area. Any other suggestions ?

happy to drive into the city too as we can leave by 5.30 in a morning, so don't mind an early morning commute that takes longer on the way back !

also what good schools are there in those areas possibly with special ed units attached.

thank you

Gosh you were brave buying a house on a 457 visa. :err: pursuing the PR option now sounds like good plan, can you get this independently?

I personally think that it is too far to travel from those areas to Sydney on a daily basis, this is realistically more like 2 hours each way than 90 minutes. We considered it in our first year here and I am so glad that we did not do it. Parking is very expensive in Sydney too, would that be provided?

Perhaps to comment on your options, it would be handy to get an idea of both your rental and purchasing budget?

Gosh you were brave buying a house on a 457 visa. :err: pursuing the PR option now sounds like good plan, can you get this independently?

I personally think that it is too far to travel from those areas to Sydney on a daily basis, this is realistically more like 2 hours each way than 90 minutes. We considered it in our first year here and I am so glad that we did not do it. Parking is very expensive in Sydney too, would that be provided?

Perhaps to comment on your options, it would be handy to get an idea of both your rental and purchasing budget?

Well working for a huge company who sponsor people all the time we didn't think for a minute they were about to sell ! We were happy with our choice of area so buying didn't seem an issue, we did go for a very easily resale able property though just in case, so shouldn't have a problem selling.

parking would be provided

Well probably maximum 1100 a week rental and maximum 750k purchase price. For that we would need 4 bedrooms, minimum 700sqm block and a pool !!! If that's not too much to ask ! Lolz

Well working for a huge company who sponsor people all the time we didn't think for a minute they were about to sell ! We were happy with our choice of area so buying didn't seem an issue, we did go for a very easily resale able property though just in case, so shouldn't have a problem selling.

parking would be provided

Well probably maximum 1100 a week rental and maximum 750k purchase price. For that we would need 4 bedrooms, minimum 700sqm block and a pool !!! If that's not too much to ask ! Lolz

Well the purchase price, yes you would need to be quite a long way out of Sydney to get four bedrooms and a pool for $750k. I am about an hour north of Sydney and you would need well over $1million for your requirements. The rental budget is not bad though, you wouldn't need to go up to the Central Coast to get something decent for $1,100 per week. You could try north shore, northern beaches or possibly the hills and would find something on budget. Trouble is, if you want to buy, you would need to move out of the area and that would be disruptive for school etc.

Hi,

As Pumpkin has said, your rental budget will get you a decent place in a decent area, your purchase price not so much. We live in Frenchs Forest in the Northern Beaches and really like it. Husband's family are in Turramurra, Berowra Heights (Upper North Shore) and Gosford (Central Coast). The Central Coast is further than I would commute, if commute isn't a biggie you could try Bilgola or Avalon on the Northern Beaches, still over $750k to buy, but more affordable than other suburbs as a bit further away, but really lovely area. Not sure how old your son is, but primary schools all pretty good around us, high schools are a bit trickier.

Good luck with the search!

Hi there!

We are emigrating to Woy Woy area in 3 weeks, we spent 5 weeks in this area last year as my husband ( Aussie ) has his mother living in Woy Woy so he is very familiar with the area. The commute to Sydney from Woy Woy is about an hour and ten minutes. We love Umina Beach and really love Ettalong, that's where we are going to live to begin with. Woy Woy, Umina Beach and Ettalong are all within 5 mins of each other. The area is gorgeous!

Our son is 7 and is also ASD, Aspergers. He is going to attend Ettalong Public School, it has 4 special needs units attached and we have been told that he can dip in and out between mainstream and the special unit depending on his needs. He is currently in mainstream here in the UK with 100% 1-1 help so he may end up in special class permanantly we will have to see. The principle is extremely supportive from what I have heard. Woy Woy also has a school with special needs units attached.

Keep in touch if you decide to move down!! Good Luck with everything!

Hi there!

We are emigrating to Woy Woy area in 3 weeks, we spent 5 weeks in this area last year as my husband ( Aussie ) has his mother living in Woy Woy so he is very familiar with the area. The commute to Sydney from Woy Woy is about an hour and ten minutes. We love Umina Beach and really love Ettalong, that's where we are going to live to begin with. Woy Woy, Umina Beach and Ettalong are all within 5 mins of each other. The area is gorgeous!

Our son is 7 and is also ASD, Aspergers. He is going to attend Ettalong Public School, it has 4 special needs units attached and we have been told that he can dip in and out between mainstream and the special unit depending on his needs. He is currently in mainstream here in the UK with 100% 1-1 help so he may end up in special class permanantly we will have to see. The principle is extremely supportive from what I have heard. Woy Woy also has a school with special needs units attached.

Keep in touch if you decide to move down!! Good Luck with everything!

The commute is not one hour and ten minutes. A train timetable is not the commute, it is just part of the commute. Door to door this can easily get up to two hours and these are unpleasant trains in rush hour too. OP wants to drive anyway, which is 90 minutes without traffic.

The commute is not one hour and ten minutes. A train timetable is not the commute, it is just part of the commute. Door to door this can easily get up to two hours and these are unpleasant trains in rush hour too. OP wants to drive anyway, which is 90 minutes without traffic.

Well of course it isn't, it would all depend on where you lived and where you worked, however, the general question on the original post was the time it took to get from Woy Woy into the city. That time on the train is an hour ten minutes, the added extra time to and from the train station is obviously something the original poster would consider to add on to this,

Well of course it isn't, it would all depend on where you lived and where you worked, however, the general question on the original post was the time it took to get from Woy Woy into the city. That time on the train is an hour ten minutes, the added extra time to and from the train station is obviously something the original poster would consider to add on to this,

Well no the first post did not ask for the time it took to get from Woy Woy to the city. It certainly didn't ask about train times either, OP wants to drive. But that is beside the point.

I am just enhancing your information which covered the train journey, which might have led someone to believe this is a relatively easy commute. But making the trip once in holiday mode in the middle of the day when you do not really care about timing too much, is not reflective of travel in rush hour twice a day every day.

And this trip will be close to two hours. You see a lot of people coming on and thinking they have cracked living and working in Sydney because they will just live in Woy Woy and get cheap house prices. I think it is important people really understand what they are taking on. Hope that is ok with you.

You could take a look at Sutherland Shire, south of the city. Or maybe as far down as the Illawarra, there are some lovely beach-side suburbs just north of Wollongong, although the commute from down there might be too much. From Cronulla to the CBD on the train is about an hour, or driving in the middle of the day is about 50 minutes, probably more like 1h20 in rush hour traffic, more if there are accidents etc. We used to live in Yowie Bay, and OH used to commute by train from Miranda to the CBD. It took him just over an hour door to door (drive, park, walk, train, walk). Further inland in the shire you get more for your money in terms of what is affordable for rent and to buy, and the beaches at Bundeena (our favourite) are still only about 25 minutes drive away, through the most beautiful national park.

Archived