Dinner venue for a birthday in Sydney in or around CBD

PW1

Hello,

I hoping someone can help me out, I've not been here long so not sure where to go, but I'd like to take my wife to dinner tonight for her birthday but not sure where to go. I'm meeting her in the CBD where she works, so somewhere in or around there would be handy. Pretty open minded about the food type, but not Thai as we had it last night.

I did look on the net, but didn't really get a good feel for anything as the reviews were lacking, so hoping someone can recommend something from a good experience they had. Something in the mid-price range would be nice as I have yet to find employment, but not exactly skint either. A relaxed atmosphere would be good, but not essential.

Thanks for any help!

P.

I've heard Rockpool is good, might be dear though? Is that run by Neil Perry?

There is a place called 'Long Grain' I think, I've been there, on the edge of Surry Hills, close to the southern CBD.

[h=1]Longrain[/h][h=2]Bars & Pubs,[/h][h=2]Cocktail Bars,[/h][h=2]Surry Hills,[/h][h=2]Thai[/h]4

[h=3]Most viewed restaurants[/h]

[h=3]Latest features[/h] truffle-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Winter Truffle Tasting Menu at Park Hyatt Sydney[/h]Indulge in the 'diamonds of the kitchen'

timeout-sydney-the-woods-152x110.jpg

[h=5]New winter menu at The Woods[/h]A wood-fired winter feast at The Woods

sydney-seafood-school-4-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Book a cooking class[/h]Learn to cook like a master chef

More features

[h=3]Latest galleries[/h] cirkopolis-637x394-482x298-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Cirkopolis[/h]

rising-sun-ramen-637x394-482x298-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Rising Sun Workshop[/h]

50s-fair-myffy-rigby-and-lou-vacher-at-rose-seidler-house-059-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Fifties Fair 2014[/h]

anna-kucera-chip-off-the-old-block-crop-03-482x298-152x110.jpg

[h=5]The Chip off the Old Block [/h]

topa-thumbnail-482x298-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Time Out Sydney Pub Awards 2014: Winners[/h]

cho-cho-san-637x394-482x298-152x110.jpg

[h=5]Cho Cho San[/h]

Credit: Daniel Boud

[*=center]longrain-001.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-003.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-008.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-012.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-016.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-007.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-005.jpg
    [*=center]longrain-002.jpg
    [*=center]dwc-longrain019.jpg
    [*=center]dwc-longrain017.jpg
    [*=center]dwc-longrain015.jpg
    [*=center]dwc-longrain011.jpg

[*=center]bt_prev1.png

• [*=center]longrain-001.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-003.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-008.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-012.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-016.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-007.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-005.jpg
      [*=center]longrain-002.jpg
      [*=center]dwc-longrain019.jpg
      [*=center]dwc-longrain017.jpg
      [*=center]dwc-longrain015.jpg
      [*=center]dwc-longrain011.jpg

[*=center]bt_next1.png

The bar at this Surry Hills classic now occupies its own entire floor

Sure, Longrain’s drinks list might seem a bit fruity judged against the likes of the new breed of moustache-whiskey bars, but it moves with the times. You can still get your Camp Bitches and your lychee-enhanced Ping Pongs, but the Drifter makes a strong case for the newer offerings. It’s a tall glass of trouble in the form of mescal, ginger beer and pineapple and chilli syrup, the sweetness toned down with lime juice and orange bitters, finishing with the antiseptic tang of the mescal itself. The DJ playing Thursdays through Sundays looks regulation-bored. Should a very-noughties mix of “soul, Afro-Latin beats, smoking dub lounge and cool jazzy breaks” not be your cuppa, come earlier in the week. The food, though, has as much sizzle as ever. The salt-and-pepper tofu, sauced with sweet soy and lime, remains the best in its class in the city, while the skewers of Berkshire pork, flavoured with tamarind and chilli, take a good lick of flame from the grill. We could take or leave the cumbersome barramundi spring rolls, but the bun stuffed with pork belly, pickled carrot and daikon, Vietnamese mint and chilli jam is a lemongrassy taste of the good life. Knowing exactly when to go hard on authenticity and when to loosen up has kept the kitchen pumping for 14 years, and the bar has maintained the same magic. Go with the ’Grain.

Rockpool's a fantastic restaurant, though the prices might be a bit dear ($$$) as said! If you want a restaurant with a view and prices aren't an issue, I suggest Quay ($$$$) or Café Sydney (5th floor of Customs House - $$$$). Saké is a Japanese restaurant in the Rocks, but bookings are recommended ($$$).

If you're looking to indulge without splashing, Le Pub ($$) Corner of York and King st is a fantastic French themed restaurant (my review: http://www.mademoiselleinsydney.com/2013/08/15/where-to-get-great-confit-duck-review-of-le-pub-sydney-cbd/). If you want upper range Chinese, then there's Mister Wong near Bridge Street (my review: http://www.mademoiselleinsydney.com/2012/12/09/merivales-mister-wong-on-bridge-lane-sydney-cbd-o/)

Rockpool's a fantastic restaurant, though the prices might be a bit dear ($$$) as said! If you want a restaurant with a view and prices aren't an issue, I suggest Quay ($$$$) or Café Sydney (5th floor of Customs House - $$$$). Saké is a Japanese restaurant in the Rocks, but bookings are recommended ($$$).

If you're looking to indulge without splashing, Le Pub ($$) Corner of York and King st is a fantastic French themed restaurant (my review: http://www.mademoiselleinsydney.com/2013/08/15/where-to-get-great-confit-duck-review-of-le-pub-sydney-cbd/). If you want upper range Chinese, then there's Mister Wong near Bridge Street (my review: http://www.mademoiselleinsydney.com/2012/12/09/merivales-mister-wong-on-bridge-lane-sydney-cbd-o/)

The Rockpool Bar and Grill is not as expensive as the Rockpol restaurant, but yes it is a bit. I was just going to come back and suggest Sake in the Rocks too, love that place.

I don't know any of these places! Apart from Long Grain - apologies for the long reply as I did not expect all the photos.

Actually, if I did get to know these places, it might improve my dating experiences - $10 steaks at the pub just don't cut the dating mustard!?

Archived