457 to PR

Hi all,

im im new to this forum and I'm not sure if I'm on the correct page but I hope someone can guide me.

Im currently on a 457 temporary visa for 4 years, come September I can apply for PR through my employment as I would have been living in Sydney for two years. I plan to do so online. I just have a few queries about doing so. Firstly I wondered if anyone knows what documentation they ask for from both myself and my employers to support my application.

Secondly I will be applying at the end of September however I leave for an overseas trip in December, I'm doubtful my PR will be issued so quickly and therefore will need to apply for a bridging visa during this period, is anyone aware of how I can apply correctly and whether or not it will hinder my PR application at all?

Any info on the visa application will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all in advance.

Charli

I've found the document checklist on the DIBP website gives a good summary of the information you need to apply for both the employer and the employee.

Once you lodge your application, you'll automatically be issued a Bridging Visa A. It kicks in when your 457 visa expires. If you're going to travel before the PR is granted, then you should apply for a Bridging Visa B, and then get your BVA reinstated when you return (assuming the PR isn't granted in the meantime).

Will your 457 still be current when you travel?

My DH flew back to the USA (last minute) during the time our 186 was being processed, but I assume he was still on the 457 at the time - the PR visa was granted several weeks later.

We had the 457 visa and applied for PR in September 2012. I was travelling back to the uk for a holiday on December 6th. I was automatically granted the bridging visa. Not sure what kind it was but i didn't apply for another to leave the country. As it turned out i was granted PR the day before i left! Didn't find this out though till after I'd arrived back. Probably best to check about the bridging visa A & B, as i wasnt aware there were 2! Just as well my PR was granted before i actually left!

We had the 457 visa and applied for PR in September 2012. I was travelling back to the uk for a holiday on December 6th. I was automatically granted the bridging visa. Not sure what kind it was but i didn't apply for another to leave the country. As it turned out i was granted PR the day before i left! Didn't find this out though till after I'd arrived back. Probably best to check about the bridging visa A & B, as i wasnt aware there were 2! Just as well my PR was granted before i actually left!

Indeed you were very fortunate! You don't need a different bridging visa to leave the country, you just would have needed it to get back in. Assuming the 457 had expired of course, if that was still current then there would have been no issue with re entering Australia anyway.

Hi all,

im im new to this forum and I'm not sure if I'm on the correct page but I hope someone can guide me.

Im currently on a 457 temporary visa for 4 years, come September I can apply for PR through my employment as I would have been living in Sydney for two years. I plan to do so online. I just have a few queries about doing so. Firstly I wondered if anyone knows what documentation they ask for from both myself and my employers to support my application.

Secondly I will be applying at the end of September however I leave for an overseas trip in December, I'm doubtful my PR will be issued so quickly and therefore will need to apply for a bridging visa during this period, is anyone aware of how I can apply correctly and whether or not it will hinder my PR application at all?

Any info on the visa application will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all in advance.

Charli

Will your 457 have actually expired by December?

Will your 457 have actually expired by December?

Thanks to to everyone for your responses, I appreciate your help.

My 457 visa doesn't actually expire until 2016 so when I leave in December I will still have my current visa, will this enable to me to leave and return without a bridging visa at all or will immigration still issue one anyway?

Its all all terribly confusing!

Thanks to to everyone for your responses, I appreciate your help.

My 457 visa doesn't actually expire until 2016 so when I leave in December I will still have my current visa, will this enable to me to leave and return without a bridging visa at all or will immigration still issue one anyway?

Its all all terribly confusing!

So you are still on the 457, you don't need to be worrying about bridging visas at all.

Archived