UK Midwives....? problems with new AHPRA criteria

Middy79

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and can't find anything which answers my question directly, so I have started a new thread.

I am a midwife in the UK with 5 years experience looking to emmigrate with my partner and son.

Looking at the IQNM: Professional experience requirements for a midwife, it seems to now state that you have to have caseloaded 20 women right through from early pregnancy to 4-6 weeks post birth. My job in the Uk rotates me through all areas of care but I don't caseload and never have, I'm not sure how to get around this issue. Has anyone else who has recently applied (since the standards changed) to AHPRA come up against a similar issue?

Also I qualified with a diploma in midwifery studies not a degree. One of the criteria is to have the equivalent to an Australian Bachelors degree is anyone else in this position? Have AHPRA deemed it equivalent if you have a certain number of years experience? I have a bachelors degree in another subject just not in midwifery.

I'd be grateful for any help or insights anyone can provide.

Guest NuriootpaSA

Unfortunately, nobody, including AHPRA, knows what they aere doing with regards to Registrations for UK Dip Nurses.

It's a complete farce, and if the idea was to put UK Nurses off relocating to Oz, I think it has been a resounding success.

UK Nurses already in Oz, on a Visa obtained via ANMAC positive assessment of qualifications, find themselves refused registration and on Australian benefits.

Australian media, MP's, Ministers, Health Authorities, Hospitals, Immigration department, Migration Agents, Education providers and Healthcare Recruiters are ALL in the dark.

At best, it's a total mess!

The requirements are for when you trained, because at the top of the page for professional requirements for a midwife it mentions about your length of programme. Its not professional experience as such its your practical experience whilst training. I think AHPRA have worded it wrong (not like ahpra). Your clinical records file should have all the info needed for criteria 5. Cheers ned

Guest NuriootpaSA
The requirements are for when you trained, because at the top of the page for professional requirements for a midwife it mentions about your length of programme. Its not professional experience as such its your practical experience whilst training. I think AHPRA have worded it wrong (not like ahpra). Your clinical records file should have all the info needed for criteria 5. Cheers ned

Directors of Nursing are ONLY interested in experience. Provided you are trained and registered, they don't give a pig's bum as long as you KNOW how to do the job. That is why they ask for a minimum 2 year's post graduate experience.

By taking this current stance, it's not just O/S Nurses that AHPRA are sticking the finger up to, it's Australian hospitals, DON's and especially patients as well.

Hi Ned,

I didn't caseload when I trained either, it wasn't part of the course that I took. Is this going to cause me problems do you think?

I did 18 month BSC only caseloaded 4 women, even the 3 year students don't caseload 20, looks like another ahpra move to block midwives as well as nurses. I cant see many midwives meeting that criteria unless they are caseloading midwives.

Guest NuriootpaSA
I did 18 month BSC only caseloaded 4 women, even the 3 year students don't caseload 20, looks like another ahpra move to block midwives as well as nurses. I cant see many midwives meeting that criteria unless they are caseloading midwives.

I'll have my associate ask the question of AHPRA regarding UK Midwifery Diploma.

I'll have my associate ask the question of AHPRA regarding UK Midwifery Diploma.

Hi

I too am a midwife struggling with criteria 5. My university has sent 2 letters confirming I have dealt with in excess of 20 cases. This is not good enough fir ahpra!!!! I have re read the guidelines for international qualified midwives and it does not state documented evidence just that you have done it and have been supervised.

I have a job waiting for me since. Beginning of June...... Tearing my hair out sitting around waiting for ahpra to make up new rules!

Hope we all get.positive news asap

• 2 months later...
Hi

I too am a midwife struggling with criteria 5. My university has sent 2 letters confirming I have dealt with in excess of 20 cases. This is not good enough fir ahpra!!!! I have re read the guidelines for international qualified midwives and it does not state documented evidence just that you have done it and have been supervised.

I have a job waiting for me since. Beginning of June...... Tearing my hair out sitting around waiting for ahpra to make up new rules!

Hope we all get.positive news asap

Not sure if you have seen the latest news http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/.../FAQ-IQNM...

Hello ...

I hope this helps .....this is to date my understanding of it all ....

It would appear that the rule changes mean that APHRA want evidence of '20 continuity of care cases' - these must have been done in the applicant’s original midwifery training.

Providing continuity of care cases isn't a requirement of registration in the UK / EU. So MOST universities will not have done it.

If an applicant can't prove CoC cases, but meet all other international registration conditions AHPRA will allow you to register but you need to complete 12 months supervision.

This has to be done at an Australian educational / teaching hospital, which you arrange and pay any costs yourself.

After 12 months supervision you can register normally.

Here's the catch - the part I think is unfair.

APHRA say that as part of your 12 months supervision it's not a requirement to complete the 20 CoC cases anyway, and that if you don't they will allow you to register - but could only work in certain areas, for example delivery suite and wards - you couldn't work in a midwifery group practice role.

I think it's very unfair because experience isn't taken into account... most midwives working in hospitals will rotate and work in all areas and therefore have no problem whatsoever in providing continuity of care to one woman in all aspects of midwifery.

I don't understand why they don't make the 20 CoC cases a mandatory requirement in their supervision, because for most UK midwives this would be the only outstanding competency to meet to obtain full registration on Australia

If its not a 'requirement' then why make people do it at all? Just allow registration with conditions of areas that can / cannot be worked it would be easier.

So it would appear that UK trained midwives it mean's you'd get registration - but you'd have to do supervision.

You couldn't do supervision with an agency, and you'd need a more permanent visa then a working holiday one.

What employer will want to hire a midwife that needs 12 months supervision?

I think this would be difficult to find.

It pretty much rules out going anyone thinking of going on a WHV since you can only work for same employer for 6 months, and you can't do supervision via an agency.

This is the latest FAQ from AHPRA

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...-midwives.aspx

Yes exactly how I read it....bloody rubbish and I'm devastated if I'm honest as I didn't realise i would have to pay to complete supervision.....

I turned down my dream job in UK as would mean relocating and I didn't want to do that of we were emigrating in a yr or so and now I feel like it's all been for nothing and I don't think I've ever felt so upset or deflated about anything. I feel my future has been trashed. :(

AHPRA should make it clear on the AGOS-40 that if you were trained in XXXXXXX countries then you will not be offered full registration as your overseas training does not meet AHPRA requirements .The complete waste of time, and money for registration and assessment fees and notarised docs Cert of Good standing etc totally wasted ...

Archived