I had my hernia operation at St Geoge Private Hospital, Kogarah, on 7th July.

MARYROSE02

Back home now after two nights in the hospital, hopefully all OK, and with a considerably lighter wallet. Still, from diagnosis by the GP, to operation took about four weeks, and I had the money. Funny how I worry about spending a couple of hundred dollars on something, then just 'snap my fingers' and get my wallet out when it's something costing thousands!?

Hope you are feeling better Mary Rose. I took out insurance a few years ago as I was having my knee replaced, even with the loading once you get older and you need the cover its way cheaper than having it for years and years when people are young and don't need it. A surgeon pointed it out to me. Good arn't they?

Hope you are feeling better Mary Rose. I took out insurance a few years ago as I was having my knee replaced, even with the loading once you get older and you need the cover its way cheaper than having it for years and years when people are young and don't need it. A surgeon pointed it out to me. Good arn't they?

That is why the system is stuffed unfortunately. People doing that very thing.

When I got my first job in Sydney, back in 1979, the firm paid for medical insurance with Medibank Private and a few months later, I used it to pay for my first hernia operation. I think I dropped the insurance when I left the job. I've been confused about the need for insurance since I came back to OZ in 2009. Is it better to save money into an account and use it when needed for medical care? Is it better to take out insurance? So far, I've just paid when I had to pay for medical care, and bulk billed the rest of the time. I remember my Dad having a hernia operation at a private hospital in England, and I think he did the same as me, paying out of his savings.

Younger people get sick too, maybe want to have private care. I've never bothered with life insurance because I'm single. My podiatrist told me that you should insure your body for the same reason you insure your car? I do feel a bit guilty thinking about a young bloke who told me he's on the waiting list for a hernia operation at a public hospital. Have I jumped the queue?

I'm feeling a bit better, just my flat is cold so I'm going back to bed in a minute. I miss my central heating in England!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mary I feel your pain my partner had one done without private cover too when we arrived & it's not cheap! If you're looking into insurance try a comparison company because they are not biased towards one fund & look for the best value & level of cover for you & your family. If you are using things like dental optical physio etc you can often claim back most of your premium get well soon

Archived