Vaccination help?

Emmie2010

After talking to my sister in law i have found out that children in Aus have chicken pox vaccines before they start school. On the enrolment form for the school our children might be going to it states about proof of immunisations before they can start.

Is the chicken pox vaccine something they HAVE to have?

They are up to date on all their other vaccinations but chicken pox is not offered here and neither of them have had it yet.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Emma

After talking to my sister in law i have found out that children in Aus have chicken pox vaccines before they start school. On the enrolment form for the school our children might be going to it states about proof of immunisations before they can start.

Is the chicken pox vaccine something they HAVE to have?

They are up to date on all their other vaccinations but chicken pox is not offered here and neither of them have had it yet.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma

No vaccinations are compulsory. Schools might like them but as far as I know they cannot enforce them. If there is an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease, they may ask that non-vaccinated children are excluded during the outbreak (this is the case at my daughter's kindy).

My eldest daughter received the chickenpox vaccine as we were in Oz. We returned to the UK where I saw loads of her classmates suffer with chickenpox while she was fine. I always thought it a shame that the UK doesn't offer the vaccine as it's such a miserable illness which can be avoided.

I'm now back in OZ and plan to have my other 2 daughters vaccinated. It's a single injection with a bosster recommended in their teens.

But your children are fully vaccinated as per Uk protocol so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. You may wish to go for the chickenpox vaccine but at the end of the day, this is your choice.

(Mum of 3 and a Registered Nurse)

PS Hep B vaccine is also on the immunization schedule in Australia so that may be another one you might wish to consider also.

Hey Emma,

I'm not sure about all states, but here in Tas (and in Melb) if you meet the eligibility criteria, then you can get the required vaccines for free once you arrive (for us it's for Hep B as the kids had chickenpox a few months before we left). Check out your local council website for more details.

We need to get our medicare cards sorted next week then we're off to get our jabs and vaccine certificates completed - I'll let you know how we get on, if you think it would be helpful...

We've recently moved to Melbourne and both my kids have just finished the catch up immunisations, Hep B and chicken pox. Schools and child care centres will accept the kids if they are on a catch up schedule or if you don't wish to have them vaccinated then you just need get a conscientious objection form signed by a GP. When you move you will need to take the kids red books to your local council and they will set the kids and their immunisations up on the Australian immunisation register. It is from this register that you can get the proof of immunisation that schools require for enrolment.

Thank you for all your help.

We was unsure whether we had to get them done while we were still in the UK. Have been looking at info and not able to find much on it. We are not moving over until October will be living in perth, so still have a while..

Have got their enrolment forms today so i will be emailing the school to see what they say

Thanks again

Hi! Just my experience of perth! But we arrived when my daughter was 2, she was fully immunised per UK but not chicken pox as said on here it's not a UK priority, I had absolutely no probs with day care, showed my red book and pointed out no chicken pox, not a problem. However, when i started work I did need my daughter to be fully immunised per Aus requirements in order to claim child care rebates so took my red book to GP, the nurses decided which immunisations were needed (same as UK for a 3 year old) and they sorted it xxxx

Thank you.

Everything seems to be so confusing over there. I really need to start reading into all of this.

I have copied my childrens red books and sending over to school we want to go to just so they can get on the waiting list.

My boys are 4 and 7 so had all the jabs they can here at the moment

:)

Archived