Deferred in UK school- can we do the same in Perth?

Morgana220

My daughter was born Nov 2003 but prematurely and so we deferred her. She should be in primary 6 (Scotland) but is currently in primary 5 (will be going into P6 after summer). It's the best thing we ever did as she has trouble concentrating and focusing (and a few other wee challenges) so she would never have coped if we had put her into the correct year for her age.

Obviously she is a year behind most UK kids and I wondered if they will allow her to go into a year behind when we move to Perth, WA? I know they start their kids a bit later over there but she will really struggle with her age group due to her academic issues.

Any advice gratefully received

The school year in Perth runs 1st July - 30th June so if she was in Perth right now she would be in primary 5 anyway - she would go into P6 in January so you may find it will work out naturally.

My son was born mid-June 2003 so just before the cut off and had we stayed in WA would be in P6, we decided in moving back to the UK to hold him in P5 - he's done one term of P5 in Perth and then started again in August here. It was definitely the right thing for him as he was the very youngest in his class in Australia - your daughter on the otherhand would be pretty much the oldest so it may work out well for her.