how to find cheap house furniture?

Eddie10

Hi,

my husband, 2 children and I, get to Perth on 24th July.

we are staying in Mullaloo for 29 days and in that time will be looking for furniture to take to the house we decide to rent. I have been looking on Ebay ad Gumtree but just wondered if anyone knew of someone moving back to the uk etc that could help us out?

Good thinking. Maybe stick a similar post on Perth poms.

we came with no furniture....and no money:no:

it was fairly easy to get things free or cheaply. Ok not the best of stuff but it did the trick.

As you said gumtree can be a godsend, you need to be on the ball though and for larger items have something to pick them up in. Bunnings doa not badly priced ute hire.

other options: loads of cheapie type shops about. Get yourself to K Mart, Super A Mart, Big W, Target, Furniture Spot etc etc. Sorry dont know the area you are heading to, but just head to your local retail park and you will find all these shops, plus more. A lot of these stores will sell "bundles" , ie everything you need to kit out your living area/bedroom/kitchen, these too are good cheap options.

also Ikea!!

If you want free stuff, most suburbs have their own buy n sell group on Facebook, join you local one, plus any other suburbs that your willing to travel to. Loads of free stuff to be found on these groups.

Go kerb surfing....twice a year, each local council provides its residents the chance to get rid of unwanted items for free. So in the run up to this date, everybody puts their unwanted stuff out. OMG, its true what they say, what is one mans trash is another's treasure. So many goodies to be had.

especially if you head to the posh areas:cool:. I scored a lovely wine fridge last time, nothing wrong with it. Looked like the house owners were having a kitchen upgrade and they just put all the taken out stuff kerbside.

A lot of suburbs will have weekly car boot sales, brilliant for bargains. Garage sales are popular here too, just look out for the signs on the roads. Like the kerbside stuff, don't be shy, just get right n there. It's expected

thank you so much for all the advice :)

I wasnt sure if they done car boot sales etc so this is good to know. will definitely keep my eyes out for signs!

hopefully there will be a chance to go kerb surfing in July.

at least we have a month to find everything as we are fully furnished to start with. Few!! x

Yes they do car boots here, although they call them swap marts.

if heading to one, try to seek out ones that say "estate sale". They are the best ones and they normally have signs up.

These are house sales. Just like we did a car boot to sell our stuff to come here, they are selling their stuff.

we went to our local one when we arrived, got loads of stuff, best buy was a near new lounge suite. When we sold it nearly two years later, we actually got a few hundred more than we paid for it.

When we arrived we just bought the Quokka on the day it came out (Thurs?) and made a shortlist then hubby went and viewed and then we hired a van to collect all same day. From memory we bought 2 lounge suites/a dining suite/TV/Phones/coffee table for less than $500. We got single bed frames/occasional table and other bits from kerb collection which happened to be on in suburb we rented in for first 6 weeks (score)...we got a couple of items for Freecycle..TV I think. Some very cheap new furniture ie tv cabinet from crazy clarkes....only new items were kids mattresses from Ikea.

We gradually replaced over the next few years with new items as we established ourselves and finances stablised. I would try the Quokka...downside is you only have a description no photo quite often...Gumtree has the pics...

Archived