Moving back to the UK mid 2015

amykitty

Hi All!

I'm new to the forums. I am currently living in Australia with my partner , and we have plans to move back to the UK mid 2015. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a good removal company - I don't have any furniture but I have managed to accumulate a lot of 'stuff" so will need to ship a few boxed back home. I'm not really bothered how long they take (as i am going travelling for 2-3 months on my way home anyway), but would like it to be safe as an iMac is amongst my stuff!

2) Anyone advise on how i get my supa-annuation back when we do move?

Kind regards,

Amy

I haven't looked into shipping yet, but I've heard Seven Seas are good, as Wattsy has already suggested.

Your Super will depend on the type of visa you are on. If you are now a citizen, I don't think you can get it back until retirement age or something...and even then, you need to come back to live for at least a year!

Good luck with the move - sorry my post wasn't particularly helpful :)

I haven't looked into shipping yet, but I've heard Seven Seas are good, as Wattsy has already suggested.

Your Super will depend on the type of visa you are on. If you are now a citizen, I don't think you can get it back until retirement age or something...and even then, you need to come back to live for at least a year!

Just a small correction. You don't have to return when you retire to recover your Super. You are confusing this with the Australian Age Pension.

As others have said it is unlikely you can recover your Super when you leave but to answer accurately you will need to specify what visa you are on and how long you have been in Oz contributing to Super.

Thanks great guys thanks.

I have been here since august (my year trip turned into 2).

I'm on a 457 visa....

Hi AK

As long as you have not become a Perm Res then you can claim back your super. However, they do tax you to hell on it around 38% I think off the top of my noggin.

Try this link https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/superannuation/ hope this helps. I have my PR now so can't claim until i'm 55 in the UK :mad: Oh well moving back will be worth it!

Thanks great guys thanks.

I have been here since august (my year trip turned into 2).

I'm on a 457 visa....

Aaaaah, ok. Thanks GGS. I definitely don't know all the ins and outs, I just remember reading that once you became a citizen you couldn't claim it if you MBTTUK...Is that right? :) Thanks :)

Only temporary visa holders can get it back after they leave, and it is subject to withholding tax of 35%

Hi AK

As long as you have not become a Perm Res then you can claim back your super. However, they do tax you to hell on it around 38% I think off the top of my noggin.

Try this link https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/superannuation/ hope this helps. I have my PR now so can't claim until i'm 55 in the UK :mad: Oh well moving back will be worth it!

Just look on it as a retirement investment. My OH is a citizen and she returned to the UK in 1999. Still has her Super from then and gets an annual statement. The amount has risen steadily without any contributions. 15 years on she is planning to return never really expecting to be doing so and will start contributing again. Some see Super as an imposition but when you get older you will be pleased it is there.

I know in the long run Super will be a good thing, but if could have it now I could buy my future house out right in the UK.

I suppose an around the world holiday is the go when I'm 55 :smile:

Just look on it as a retirement investment. My OH is a citizen and she returned to the UK in 1999. Still has her Super from then and gets an annual statement. The amount has risen steadily without any contributions. 15 years on she is planning to return never really expecting to be doing so and will start contributing again. Some see Super as an imposition but when you get older you will be pleased it is there.

Archived