457 Visa help, please

So I have decided to apply my 457 visa without the help of a agent. I'm trying to get as much help as possible without actually paying for it (from you guys and another forum) so any help is appreciated and may actually save somebody else reading this a few dollars too.

My main reason for wanting to do it alone is that my employer decided to do all his parts alone and I couldn't justify paying over 2k just for filling out my own forms (maybe I'll regret it, who knows)

I'll keep this thread updated so other people might get a idea of the whole process.

Right, so my employer applied to become a sponsor a few weeks back as he never had sponsored anyone before, this got approved a few days ago.

He wants to lodge the nomination this weekend and he's taking care of this himself..

On my part, the very first question on the Visa is....

For applications relating to a standard business visa please enter one of the following..

Sponsorship transaction reference number (trn)

Business sponsorship agreement num..

Where do I find my TRN? I'm guessing this is completely different than my employers TRN..

I don't know any agent that would charge over 2k for assistance with a 457 visa application. Maybe you could update that so people in the future get an accurate representation of the costs involved with using an agent, might save them a few pounds.

Wouldn't want to tell you what we are paying for my 457 then! :shocked: unless timberface is paying in £ then it might equate to the same.

Really?! I feel for you, that's very steep. For the SBS, Nomination and Application all combined we would charge less than £2,000 GBP

I don't know any agent that would charge over 2k for assistance with a 457 visa application. Maybe you could update that so people in the future get an accurate representation of the costs involved with using an agent, might save them a few pounds.

$2100 dollars was the price I was quoted and that was cheaper than the almost 5K from another agent that uses this site a lot. Ridiculous money to pay somebody to fill in the dots for you.

It's not "filling in the dots", there's a lot involved that you may not be aware of. But yeah I'm in firm agreement that that's too much and is definitely not indicative of the average service fee for this visa.

Lynsey, that's crazy. Sometimes company's like to use the very large global migration law firms which often charge a premium, but there's often a cheaper, more personable and higher standard of service from boutique companies. I'm sure you're aware that the employer cannot seek to recover any of the costs of the Standard Business Sponsorship or Nomination (including agent fees). That's not a recommendation, it's actually part of their obligations as a sponsor.

It's not "filling in the dots", there's a lot involved that you may not be aware of. But yeah I'm in firm agreement that that's too much and is definitely not indicative of the average service fee for this visa.

Lynsey, that's crazy. Sometimes company's like to use the very large global migration law firms which often charge a premium, but there's often a cheaper, more personable and higher standard of service from boutique companies. I'm sure you're aware that the employer cannot seek to recover any of the costs of the Standard Business Sponsorship or Nomination (including agent fees). That's not a recommendation, it's actually part of their obligations as a sponsor.

This isn't a large firm, its as you say a boutique company. It hasn't been mentioned on this site or PIO, it is MARA registered and we have been in touch with others that have used it. So as far as being strung along for the money sake, I doubt that very much. I do agree with you that it's a crazy price! I won't be using them for my 186 anyway!

As for claiming costs back, my MA never once informed me that my employer was responsible for the fees. What was stated in the contract was that he was 100% liable for his sponsorship visa. To be honest, when we discussed it over a year ago we talked money and we both agreed that it we would both pay towards it. As I said, my employer has never done this before so I dont think he would be aware of the payment structure. What has shocked me is the lack of clarification from my MA.

This isn't a large firm, its as you say a boutique company. It hasn't been mentioned on this site or PIO, it is MARA registered and we have been in touch with others that have used it. So as far as being strung along for the money sake, I doubt that very much. I do agree with you that it's a crazy price! I won't be using them for my 186 anyway!

As for claiming costs back, my MA never once informed me that my employer was responsible for the fees. What was stated in the contract was that he was 100% liable for his sponsorship visa. To be honest, when we discussed it over a year ago we talked money and we both agreed that it we would both pay towards it. As I said, my employer has never done this before so I dont think he would be aware of the payment structure. What has shocked me is the lack of clarification from my MA.

There's a box on the online application form that acts as a declaration the employer will not seek to recover certain costs (including SBS & Nomination fees & migration agent fees respective to those applications). When the applicant makes their 457 application there is another specific question asking the applicant if the employer has sought to recover these costs from them. The RMA has a responsibility to ensure that the company and you are aware of all declarations and obligations involved so even though they can process the application on your behalves, they must point this out to you. If the company agreed to have you pay any of the costs of the SBS/Nom they have breached their sponsorship obligations.

Archived