100k per annum enough?

ponyboy

Hey

me and the wife are exploring the pros and cons of moving to Australia before taking the plunge and applying for a visa. It is just the two of us with our 2 dogs and 2 cats. We are planning for the worst and from a quick scan it would seem the minimum we would get for our experience and qualifications would be $50k each. Child protection officers for instance start on 53k and max out on 76k with experience etc. Now I know a lot of it is dependant on where you live and to some extent we would be willing to live fairly regional but want to eventually live somewhere along the Queensland coast. We have worked out the following costs per month for a married couple. Apologies if estimates are well out...

$190 health insurance

$50 contents insurance

$75 pet insurance

$275 travel/petrol

$800 food (we are incredibly frugal with food shops. UK we spend £150 a month!)

$60 internet

$200 gas & elec

$120 mobile phones

$750 leisure activities

$2200 rent for small apartment that is pet friendly

does this seem about right? Missing anything major?

after tax we would be pulling in around $6400 leaving us around $1800 to save per month.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey

me and the wife are exploring the pros and cons of moving to Australia before taking the plunge and applying for a visa. It is just the two of us with our 2 dogs and 2 cats. We are planning for the worst and from a quick scan it would seem the minimum we would get for our experience and qualifications would be $50k each. Child protection officers for instance start on 53k and max out on 76k with experience etc. Now I know a lot of it is dependant on where you live and to some extent we would be willing to live fairly regional but want to eventually live somewhere along the Queensland coast. We have worked out the following costs per month for a married couple. Apologies if estimates are well out...

$190 health insurance

$50 contents insurance

$75 pet insurance

$275 travel/petrol

$800 food (we are incredibly frugal with food shops. UK we spend £150 a month!)

$60 internet

$200 gas & elec

$120 mobile phones

$750 leisure activities

$2200 rent for small apartment that is pet friendly

does this seem about right? Missing anything major?

after tax we would be pulling in around $6400 leaving us around $1800 to save per month.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi

I think you'd be very comfortable on that salary. I'm assuming from your comment that you don't feel the need to live close to the cbd in a major city (which would indeed swallow all of your income). There are many biggish country towns that would give you a very good lifestyle for your money and arguably much nicer than living in an outer city suburb. Depends what you're looking for but yes, you'll be absolutely fine.

I didnt look at all your figures fully but your rent looks huge so should cover you for most places, its double what we've ever paid but again, never lived near a cbd. We just bought mobiles and use pay as you go wireless dongle for internet, costs a bit less than you estimate but depends on useage and if you need to pay monthly for the pleasure of the latest phone. Gas, not sure if you'll find a place with gas, depends again on location.

Queensland coast is lovely but my advice is to be open minded. Amazing how many people feel unstimulated by endless beaches and sunshine, despite their expectations. Just saying there are many lovely options.

Best of luck with your adventure!

We are looking at similar sounding areas and from my stalking of real estate I feel prices for renting has dropped over the past 5 years. We are a family of 5 and hoping to rent between $1600-$2000 per 4 week period. This is from research in areas like Townsville and avoiding being close to the sea. For the first 4 months at least, we will just have my salary. A starting salary for a nurse of around $60k if memory serves right. We have 3 children and we will be entitled to a small amount of child tax credit type payments. Therefore less than you are stating. We know we wont be rolling in cash, but from our research (years of it) we believe we will be ok. We have spoken to plenty of others with similar incomes. You will also get the others who cant afford to live off $150k a year each! But each to our own. Like you we are frugal in the UK, we eat really healthy and spend £250 ish per month on groceries for all 5 of us, packed lunches and all.

Good luck and enjoy your research x

Good luck finding a small apartment that is pet friendly. Many blocks of units have Body Corporates to manage the properties and its normal for there to be a 'no pet' rule. You might get lucky but for 2 cats, 2 dogs, while it may still be difficult, I think a small house will be easier to find than an apartment and your $2200 rent will just about do.

I would say your internet is a bit low. We pay $170pm for internet, phone and inc in that is a TV package but not to the standard of Foxtel. We get more than enough data and cheap UK calls- this is with Optus. But unless you only use the internet for basics I think you'll struggle to find it that cheap. May be wrong tho

Hi

$800 on food sounds like a lot if you only currently pay 150GBP. I reckon budgeting $400 would be comparable but you can compare costs using something like Coles Online.

If you already have mobile phones you could get them unlocked (if they're not already) and pay as you go Sims are pretty reasonable with say $30 or $40 top up a month.

Eddy

Archived