Help needed with partner visa sponsor please

Lynn Boyson

Hi

We are getting ready to apply for a partner visa. My husband is Australian but has lived here (UK) for the past 11 years. I had assumed he would be able to sponsor me and our 2 year old daughter but in reading the information I think now that the sponsor must be living in Australia. Is that the case? If so I can get another family member to do it but I don't want to ask them to get all the certified copies/proof needed if not necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help

You are misunderstanding it :) he is fine to be your sponsor for the partner visa. So long as he is an Aussie and you meet the requirements (which you appear to).

Just one thing, your daughter should be able to gain Aus citizenship by descent which is a lot easier and straightforward. Look in to it. We got our sons sorted within 6 weeks all up. It's only you need to get the visa really.

I'm married to an Aussie, with a child and we applied in the UK. Son had his Aus passport all sorted so never went on the application as a migrating dependant.

Edited by Guest
added more

Hi

We are getting ready to apply for a partner visa. My husband is Australian but has lived here (UK) for the past 11 years. I had assumed he would be able to sponsor me and our 2 year old daughter but in reading the information I think now that the sponsor must be living in Australia. Is that the case? If so I can get another family member to do it but I don't want to ask them to get all the certified copies/proof needed if not necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help

I'm married to an Aussie by descent. He had never even been to Australia and he was my sponsor. I think there is a magical word like- 'normally they reside', but loads of people apply when both are still in UK

website states:

"This visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to travel to and live in Australia."

Nothing about how long they've lived in Australia or if they live there at the time of sponsoring you. It's all accessible on the internet and found very easily using the magic of Google.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/Live.aspx

Job done ;)

Edited by vickyplum

Many thanks for this, really helpful. It looks like citizenship by descent is the way forward for our daughter but she already has a British passport. I assume she will also need an Australian passport to be able to move without a Visa?

The Aus parent applies for citizenship by descent for the child. That comes through within a couple of weeks usually. Then the Aus parent applies for the childs Aus passport. This may well require that person to attend an interview in London at the Aus consulate and to supply their Aus birth cert and passport. Then the childs passport is issued. All up from start to finish for our son it took about 6 weeks and was really straightforward. Much easier for migrating purposes and all that also.