Migrant fare on Qantas

Guest Ruby Okim

Guest Ruby Okim

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know that OH and I finally got round to buying our tix for Melbourne for next Monday. I kept putting it off and off - think it finally hit that it's time to go!!! - and had been looking round for a good direct flight there. I'd rung up the Qantas regional telesales and they told me that there was no migrant fares so we went into our local branch thinking that we would just be buying normal one way tickets and would pay any excess baggage charges if we had to.

Got to the counter and told the lady that we wanted to buy one way tix to Melbourne and she enquired if we meant migrant fares. I told her what I was informed on the phone and she said that the migrant fares are only available in the office and not over the phone as you have to show proof of your visa (think it's still only applicable for certain types of visas). So we showed her the visas and then gingerly asked the price of the migrant fare (I asked at Singapore Airlines and their fare was almost twice as expensive as the normal one way tix!!) and she quoted a price that was actually cheaper than what I found online for their normal one way prices!! This and we are going to get 40kg each!

PLEASE NOTE: we are flying from Singapore and not England but for those of you that have only enquired through the phoneline, get yourselves down to the nearest Qantas office and ask in person. It's worth a try!

Archived