Working outside the suburbs?

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

When I get to Oz I don't really want to be in the suburbs - I'd love to have a small farm or similar.

With a bit of luck I'll be mortgage free so all I'll have to make sure we have is electric/water and food on the table.

I'm not going to Oz to get rich - I'm going to change my life

All that aside - I still need to earn a living.

I'm a sparky so I guess finding work won't be a big issue - but will there be work out in the sticks???

I'm not meaning out in the bush - I don't want to be the next Mick Dundee!!!

Are there any of you out there who are in a similar situation? any info or advise would be helpful.

Not a sparkie and dont live in the bush but we have been looking at living in the bush for some time. Our preference has been for rural Gippsland in Victoria and there are some super properties around the Orbost area. That area has a really nice climate and is generally less affected by the drought than on the other side of Vic in places like Wedderburn where it is a right dustbowl at the moment. It is also close to the sea (90 mile beach anyone?). It is 4 hours from Melbourne. I would imagine a tradesman would have far less trouble getting work than a shiny bum (public servant) type!!! In fact, I am sure some of those smaller towns would love a tradesman to move in - it would make a pleasant change for them as most of the moving out these days is being done by seachangers who probably dont have a skill to save their lives and just have too much disposable income (we have a reality tv show about them at the mo!!!)

There are lots of places like that in Aus - you can buy blocks from 1/2 acre upwards and the best place to check them out is probably the rural properties section here. I assume you would want to buy something already built rather than delve into mud bricks and build your own and you will find that they all have water tanks and dams but you do need to do your homework about how the drought affects the area. Most of them, unless they are really out in the bush (like our son) have mains electricity but many also have a back up solar or generator. Most have wood heaters and if you are canny you will get a block which has part bush so your heating will never cost you a cent (except the price of a chainsaw).

Good luck with it - sounds like you are going to have a ball!

Hiya we are on 2 acres and far from the sticks,lol,,shops are 5 mins away ,schools 5 mins,big shopping ctrs 15 mins and most guys find work within a 30min commute of here.Like you we managed to be mortgage free and it really does relieve the pressure as wages are grim here.Property around here has climbed but is still within reach and not ridiculous like some suburbs,feel free to ask away with any questions

Cal x

Archived